Community discussions

MikroTik App

szalkerous
Topic Author

Has anyone tried doing a wifi survey using a Surface Pro?

Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:04 am

I'm running a CAPS with a handful of capAC units. I'm getting acceptable levels of performance, but due to the awkward construction of the building I feel as though placement and overlap might be a thing. I'd like to investigate to see where my coverage gaps or overlaps are. I generally run a tight drop list and I'd prefer to force device clients to a minimum signal floor and use more transmitters with tweaked output power to cover without overlap/gaps. (I am relatively rural and don't have a lot of competing external noise to deal with). I've noticed there is some oddities on 5Ghz where I will have devices drop and refuse to connect and I'm guessing this is because in that location all APs are being seen below the required floor strength.

A moment to pause and say... I know Mikrotik APs have a hate-mob but I don't really want to re-invest in another system if I can avoid it and I'm certainly not trying to serve hundreds of clients in a noisy urban environment so I think I can get away with maintaining and tweaking what I already have. It really does work at acceptable levels 90% of the time. This mostly serves mobile/tablets and IoT devices. All mission critical/high bandwidth devices are eth wired for obvious benefit reasons. Generally if it has an ethernet port that's what I use. But I digress...

I remember watching some older MUM videos with Ron Touw about proper wireless and such (I certainly have employed many of his hints and tricks), and some products were recommended for Windows and Mac to do surveys with. I'm guessing these recommendations are outdated now.

I have a relatively newer Surface Pro and was curious if anyone has used one for doing site surveys. If so, what software did you use? I'm hoping to find a low or no cost option (just a SOHO and not an enterprise environment, can't entertain something expensive or subscription based)

If not, I'll entertain any neat project-box gadgets that assist with doing that via BT (5Ghz is my focus anyways) or USB as well.

Thanks in advance.