Community discussions

MikroTik App

TomSF
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

detect LAN log messages

Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:48 am

I have 7 dual-band Mikrotik access points. Each AP has my normal SSID on each band and a guest virtual AP on each band. One has a second virtual AP on the 2.4 band. It has been this way for a few years. Periodically I would see a log message (info buffer, interface topic) that I never understood but in the last 24 hours I have seen a lot of them from all APs. I have also seen a lot of wireless connections dropped. Winbox is a perfect example. The clients remain associated with the AP but the application connections get interrupted. An example log message is "MTAP-EC-1 detect LAN", where "MTAP-EC" is one of my APs and "-1" is the 2.4 interface. Can anyone explain what these messages are trying to tell me, why they are happening and how to fix whatever is causing them?

I am running v6.49beta27 on all APs and a CCR1009-7G router.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: detect LAN log messages

Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:11 pm

Could it be related to detect-internet "feature"?

TomSF
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:12 pm

I considered that but haven't done anything with that feature. I didn't even know it was available from the Winbox Interfaces menu. Upon invoking it from the Interfaces menu it had blank names for LAN, WAN and Internet lists. I fixed that and looked at the statuses, which I had done via Terminal. Any wireless interface that has an association has a state of "lan", whereas any wireless interface without an association has a state of "no link". That is what showed when I invoked Detect Internet via Terminal. I also noticed that when I fixed the blank list names, a log entry was created for every interface with state "lan". Maybe fixing the blank list names will make a difference. I will monitor it and report back.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:47 pm

If I was in your position, I'd disable the feature altogether. I don't know if anybody (I dare to say: MT staff included) has ever found a good use of it, while there are reports of random things breaking and problems stopped after disabling this "feature".

TomSF
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:53 pm

How do I disable it?

I am still getting the log messages but discovered they are part of the association process. Whenever a client gets connected, one of those "detect lan" messages appears with the same timestamp.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:59 pm

/interface detect-internet set detect-interface-list=none

TomSF
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:16 am

Detect-internet was the cause of those messages. I turned it off and they stopped. What value is detect-internet supposed to provide? It must be there for a reason. Anyway, thanks for the advice.