Community discussions

MikroTik App

ghostinthenet
Topic Author

RV Wireless

Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:48 pm

Good morning.

I've just purchased an RV with a Winegard AIR360+ antenna built-in, but I'm interested in using the MikroTik wAP AC instead of the Winegard GW-1000 that pairs with the antenna. The antenna has three coaxial runs, two for the external LTE antennae and one for the 2.4GHz WiFi. I don't figure I'll have any trouble with the LTE, but the WiFi is another story.

The plan is to use a virtual AP in the wAP AC to connect to local WiFi while serving WiFi to my own devices via the main interface. This leads to two questions:

1. The wAP AC has two 2.4GHz antenna connectors on the board. Does it make sense for me to connect one to the external antenna and leave the other disconnected to use the internal antenna, or should I connect one to the external antenna and run the other to a dipole connected to the AP housing?

2. I've labbed out the virtual AP configuration on a hAP Mini and it works well, if a little short on performance. Has anyone tried this with the wAP AC? If so, what kind of performance did you get connecting via the virtual AP?

Thanks.
Jody

ghostinthenet
Topic Author

Re: RV Wireless

Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:47 pm

Further research seems to have answered my first question. It looks like the on-board antenna connectors aren't actually connected and are only present for testing purposes.

I'm still interested in anyone's experience with the second one though.