Community discussions

MikroTik App

markoz87
just joined
Topic Author

WiFi Access Point and station at the same time on wAP LTE RBwAPR-2nD 2

Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:42 am

Hello,

I have a wAP LTE RBwAPR-2nD 2. It is connecting to the internet over two options - when the car is parked in the garrage it is connected over house WiFi network, but when I'm driving it is using LTE connection. Everything works but the problem is that when it is not connected to house WiFi (and is using LTE for internet connection) it stops to broadcast SSID. I have created WiFi interface with pseudobridge option.

How should I configure the device so that it is AP and station at the same time but when it is not connected to house WiFI AP as WiFi station it still broadcasts SSID and function as an AP?

THank you!

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: WiFi Access Point and station at the same time on wAP LTE RBwAPR-2nD 2

Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:41 pm

What I would try .... (I haven't done it yet): swap WLAN functions between master WLAN and virtual WLAN.

-normally your wifi WLAN setup is using the master/physical WLAN as "station bridge", and a virtual WLAN as "AP bridge". The "station bridge" will search for your home wifi and that will start the WLAN and set the channel used. The virtual WLAN works on the same channel. (= single radio repeater setup)
-with no wifi connection, your master WLAN will stop running (and as such disable the depending virtual). Disabling that check via CLI (*) will make it run without that connection, but the station will be hunting for the connection and the correct channel. Not very useful. (I couldn't make a connection)
-by assigning the "AP bridge" to the master WLAN, that will always run at the set channel. The "station bridge" will be able to connect if the set freq. channel is identical as on the home network. (To Be tested). As both devices are under your control it is not a problem to keep that in sync.

(*) [admin@MikroTik] > interface wireless set disable-running-check=yes
Another test with this would be to set the WLAN channel list and/or scan list for the "station bridge" to just one channel. Maybe then the slave "AP bridge" will stay steady and usable.

markoz87
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:24 pm

Hello,

if I try to put virtual interface in station bridge mode it doesn't connect to house WiFi - it only connects if the master interface is in station bridge mode. Anything else to try?

Thank you!

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:31 pm

Is the master interface set to the same channel and channel width as the house wifi? (Channel cannot be auto on the house wifi, because that is non-deterministic). Never tried it myself if it connects or not, but this is certainly a prerequisite for connection.