Community discussions

MikroTik App

channingzou
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

AP range discuss.

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:54 am

I got 15db omni antenna,rb532a r5, rh52,put antenna 30feet high(in my roof) ,however lower than tree, I created as AP
unfortunately ,I lost connection about 300 feet.
Is anyone tested configuration above ,in place without interfering,how far will be?

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: AP range discuss.

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:05 am

depends on the distance of the obsticals.

Trees and buildings are at least a 20-30dB loss.

If you are on top of a hill with no trees, it'll go far. If trees are in the way, you'll get to the trees quite well, then it will drop off drastically.

cmacneill
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:42 pm

What are you using as a test client? If you're using a Laptop then 300 feet or 100m isn't too bad. Laptop Wireless cards are really only intended for short range indoor use, you need to install a PCMCIA card that can accept an external antenna.

My MT Router at home has an 8dB Omni on it, but I can bearly pickup a signal at the other end of the house with my Laptop, around 10m (30 feet) away!! The walls are only timber and plasterboard, not brick.

Also don't forget the characteristics of Omni antennae. The higher the gain of an Omni, the more compressed the "doughnut" becomes, hence you often can have poor results close to a high gain Omni.

GotNet

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:25 pm

And make sure you are really transmitting out the right port. We recieved a batch of cards (these were Compex I think) with a "small" upgrade that swapped AUX with main.

channingzou
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:23 am

And make sure you are really transmitting out the right port. We recieved a batch of cards (these were Compex I think) with a "small" upgrade that swapped AUX with main.
I got right port with main.
may be I'm OK,because I'm using laptop to catch signal.
but,I want to know someone maybe better ,I can learn how improve.