Community discussions

MikroTik App

csnell99
just joined
Topic Author

Fast update of upstream L2 switch MAC address tables when roaming across APs

Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:11 am

I use Microtik APs to create a continuous Wi-Fi network (with overlapping cells) in underground mines. This unique topology has numerous L2 switches serially inter-connected, with a Microtik APs connected to each of these serially inter-connected L2 switches. When a client roams to a new AP it is critical to update the MAC address to port number mappings in all of the serially inter-connected switches to avoid drop-outs of real-time traffic (specifically remote control of unmanned vehicles).

From my initial tests with Microtik equipment it does not handle this scenario well.
[*] The first problem was the fact that default bridge settings have RSTP enabled. Once this is set to None, packet flow after roaming occurs a lot faster.
[*] The second problem is that Microtik AP firmware does not send out a L2 broadcast on the Ethernet interface on behalf of each new client after they associate. This broadcast on the Ethernet interface is implemented by other vendors typically as an LLC RNR or XID packet, but with the source address being the new station's MAC address.

It would be great if the Microtik engineers could add this capability to a future firmware update, as it is important to send this LLC RNR packet out as fast as possible after the new association. In the interim, I have created a script that runs on each of the APs, which is scheduled to run at startup. This script "follows" the registration-table and sends out the LLC RNR packet whenever a new client associates, thus updating the upstream switch MAC address tables.

However, it is not particularly efficient as a script so having it built into the firmware would be better.
If anybody else has a similar scenario, I'd be keen to understand how they have solved it with Microtik APs.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Fast update of upstream L2 switch MAC address tables when roaming across APs

Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:51 am

As this forum is un-official user forum, I suggest you to send your suggestion/request directly to mikrotik, e.g. via e-mail address support@mikrotik.com

csnell99
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Fast update of upstream L2 switch MAC address tables when roaming across APs

Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:41 am

Thank you for the tip. This was my first post.
I have written directly to the support email address. I am confident this feature is useful to a lot of people (they just probably do not know it yet).

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:46 am

Slightly off-topic, but I'll correct myself (before many other users do it):
As this forum is un-official user forum,
Actually this forum is official forum. The user part is true, MT staff don't necessarily react to bugs reported (only) on this forum.

rhinoau
just joined

Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:27 am

Hi csnell99,

Are you able to post the script you are using? We're beginning to investigate the viability of this ourselves.

Cheers!