Community discussions

MikroTik App

stiga
just joined
Topic Author

5GHz -not visible

Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:35 am

Hi,
before I started to take the step to write.. I'm been googling for hours. Been searching your website for answers.. and now hope anyone can help me.
I've purchased 2x cAP ac to cover my cabin. My plan is to use them as _only access points with no dhcp_..

I though this was going to be as easy as ubiquiti or deco m5 or similar.. but I did not read up on mikrotik,. BUT that's no worries, I like to fiddle with this and make it work.
Already put firewall changes to be able to access the web-console from LAN port. (yes, this does not work by default ;))

Anyway.. my problem is that 5GHz is not working.
I've only unpacked one device.. and not sure I want to unpack the other If I have to return them.. I like to get this working before I unpack the next device. But if I cannot get it to work, I will try to open the other device too and see if the same happens to this device.

I have tried resetting the device several times, _and_ waited a long time before checking, and checking again..
Iphone XR or different PCs does not see the 5GHz network. period.

I've upgraded to latest firmware.
I've tried disable/enable the wlan2.
I've tried to hide/unhide the SSID to force it to react.
I've tried to wait, and wait.. for something to happen but no..

I've SSH, and printet out this, which is the default values:

[admin@MikroTik] /interface wireless> print
Flags: X - disabled, R - running
0 R name="wlan1" mtu=1500 l2mtu=1600 mac-address=2C:D9:1B:BE:E2:7D arp=enabled interface-type=IPQ4019
mode=ap-bridge ssid="MikroTik-10E07D" frequency=auto band=2ghz-b/g/n channel-width=20/40mhz-XX
secondary-channel="" scan-list=default wireless-protocol=802.11 vlan-mode=no-tag vlan-id=1
wds-mode=disabled wds-default-bridge=none wds-ignore-ssid=no bridge-mode=enabled
default-authentication=yes default-forwarding=yes default-ap-tx-limit=0
default-client-tx-limit=0 hide-ssid=no security-profile=default compression=no

1 name="wlan2" mtu=1500 l2mtu=1600 mac-address=2C:D9:1B:BE:E2:7E arp=enabled interface-type=IPQ4019
mode=ap-bridge ssid="MikroTik-10E07E" frequency=auto band=5ghz-a/n/ac
channel-width=20/40/80mhz-XXXX secondary-channel="" scan-list=default wireless-protocol=802.11
vlan-mode=no-tag vlan-id=1 wds-mode=disabled wds-default-bridge=none wds-ignore-ssid=no
bridge-mode=enabled default-authentication=yes default-forwarding=yes default-ap-tx-limit=0
default-client-tx-limit=0 hide-ssid=yes security-profile=default compression=no
[admin@MikroTik] /interface wireless>

stiga
just joined
Topic Author

Re: 5GHz -not visible

Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:54 pm

Okey..
I took a brand new device out of the box. Connected it to network... and waited for 2.4GHz and 5GHz to get up running..

It takes over 8-9minutes before the device is ready. (and 5GHz is visible on my iphone)

So if you make changes to the wifi, you should except to wait some time before changes are ready.
Thats perfectly ok - but it would be nice if it said this on the package... "connect and wait 8 minutes for all services to start..".
Last edited by stiga on Wed May 12, 2021 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lufer
just joined

Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:10 am

Im not sure at all, but it looks like its working, but you are hiding her SSID, thats why you cant see her.
1 name="wlan2" mtu=1500 l2mtu=1600 mac-address=2C:D9:1B:BE:E2:7E arp=enabled interface-type=IPQ4019
mode=ap-bridge ssid="MikroTik-10E07E" frequency=auto band=5ghz-a/n/ac
channel-width=20/40/80mhz-XXXX secondary-channel="" scan-list=default wireless-protocol=802.11
vlan-mode=no-tag vlan-id=1 wds-mode=disabled wds-default-bridge=none wds-ignore-ssid=no
bridge-mode=enabled default-authentication=yes default-forwarding=yes default-ap-tx-limit=0
default-client-tx-limit=0 hide-ssid=yes security-profile=default compression=no
[admin@MikroTik] /interface wireless>

Try turning that hide-ssid=yes to hide-ssid=no. Maybe that works

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:56 am

Thats perfectly ok - but it would be nice if it said this on the package... "connect and wait 8 minutes for all services to start..".
Sure this isn't caused by the regulations on the DFS channels to scan for 10 minutes?

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:22 pm

Any time you touch a 5 GHz WLAN that is using the DFS channels as AP, you have to wait the DFS radar check time (Radar check start event is in the LOG).
For channels 100 (freq 5500) and up that check time is 1 full minute.
For the weather radar channels 120-128 (5600-5640 MHz) that radar check time is 10 minutes.
During radar check the WLAN is totally inactive.

If one uses freq=auto the chosen channel is totally unknown (unless skip DFS=all or skip DFS="10min CAC" is selected, or a restricted channel list is used.)
XXXX is 4 channels wide, and the direction of the extension (lower or higher channel) is unknown. If any of those channels fall in the DFS or DFS weather range the radar detect is mandatory and cannot be avoided.

Hint: manually set your channel 5180Ceee, 5260Ceee, 5500Ceee, 5580Ceee, are the 4 possible 80MHz wide channels in most countries. 5660Cee and 5745Ceee only in some.
For Europe 5180Ceee is the only non-DFS. 5180Ceee and 5260Ceee are allowed indoor only.

Only use 80MHz wide channels if you need that throughput and the radio spectrum has limited competition.