Community discussions

MikroTik App

bumbak
just joined
Topic Author

R11e-LTE6 poor download performance

Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:09 pm

Hi,

I recently purchased LHGG LTE6 antenna and I expected speeds to match or exceed what I get on my mobile phone... but instead I'm very disappointed with download speeds...
I live in a small city with good LTE coverage, I have base station under 1km away. It's visible to me, and with phone I can be anywhere inside my place (under a bed if I like) and still get about 200Mbits download speeds..
But with LHGG LTE6 pointing directly to base station (its mostly the same if I jiggle it left/right, up and down a bit) I can max. get about 70Mbits of download
R11e-LTE6 was on firmware 025, and I updated it to 027 (it was even worse when it was on 025)
I installed CellMapper and NetMonster apps on my mobile phone to see more details like RSSI, RSRP, SNR and CQI and every value is worse on the phone but it still gets way better speeds
Why is that mikrotik?
After researching for a bit I can only see that phone is always reporting high CQI of 14-15 and thus gets higher packet modulation from base station (ie. 256QAM instead of 64QAM) and that results in much better download speeds..
While LHGG with much better RSSI, RSRP, SNR, reports CQI from none to 7 and gets lower speeds from base station....

So I really think mikrotik's only problem is reporting CQI way to conservative and modest... unlike mobile phone who says "its ok, I can take the load, fill me up" :)

Is there any way to manualy set fixed CQI value with AT command? It would be really interesting if we could do so to test it...

Just to say I am using same card in both devices and microtik is connecting 2CA on bands 3 and 7 usualy with 7 as primary.
I did test speeds on every available channel one by one, or locking different channels as primary in 2CA mode but results are the same or worse... 70Mbit is the most I have got so far