MikroTik App

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

WAP LTE kit Performance

Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:45 am

Hey all,

I just installed WAP LTE kit (RBwAPR-2nD&R11e-LTE) outdoors... The speed was not the expected one, i can reach a maximum download speed of about 30 Mbp/s and 20 Mbp/s upload...
Test has been done on all available Bands (3, 7, 20) but always the results are approximatelly the same... RSRP is about -90 or better, depends on the Band...

However, speedtests through my mobile phone are mostly around 50+ Mbp/s download and 20-30 Mbps upload... There is a big difference on the Download speed as you can see...
The mobile phone (cat6 modem) has worst RSRP and RSRQ values than the WAP but still always has almsot double download speeds and is more stable as well...
Tests from the mobile phone have been done to the same exact spot where the WAP is...

I' ve tested different MTU values but nothing changes... with fasttrack enabled etc...
Both Tests on WAP and Mobile Phone are with the same Provider...

Although i ve seen other posts with similar problem, i still can not understand where the problem is? Is it because of the modem ? But we do not even talk about the Max speeds of a cat4 modem that are 150mbp/s..

Any suggestions would be appreciated...
RouterOS version is updated to 6.48.1, modem version is as well updated to the latest one...

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: WAP LTE kit Performance

Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:20 am

R11e-LTE (LTE module included in your device) isn't capable of CA. Which nowadays severely limits DL speed (as most of MNO's cells are quite loaded and only way of getting good throughputs is by using CA). That could explain lower DL throughputs. Beware that on B20, where RSRP is likely highest, channel bandwidth is likely lower (most EU operators have 10MHz wide frequency channels on B20).

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:07 pm

Beware that on B20, where RSRP is likely highest, channel bandwidth is likely lower (most EU operators have 10MHz wide frequency channels on B20).
Yes you are right on that...
I get better speeds on Bands 3 and 7 on my Phone as well as on the WAP...

So, nothing it can be done?

Maybe i should have chosen LGH LTE or WAP AC with cat6 modem... I just preferred the small size of the WAP...

Or i could just replace the miniPCI card with a R11e-LTE6 one ?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:27 pm

I don't know what you can do. Getting a cat6 (or better) LTE modem would definitely help, this way you could avoid locking wAP to B7 or B3 cells ...

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:54 pm

ok thanks @mkx...

I' ve ordered a R11e LTE6 modem, i will let you know of the results as soon as i replace the old modem...

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: WAP LTE kit Performance  [SOLVED]

Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:00 pm

I just replaced the R11e Lte with the R11e LTE6 modem and everything is perfect now...
With CA the speeds are almost twice than before...