Community discussions

MikroTik App

profKWL
just joined
Topic Author

Facebook/Messenger App is able to bypass Hotspot Portal

Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:33 am

How can I block Facebook/Messenger App from bypassing Hotspot Portal?

I first noticed this when a user/device is standing by on my Hotspot portal. The user didn't log in but in 3 hours, consumed 1.3gig of downloaded data and 37Mb upload.
I was curious as to how someone was able to download that much without logging in to my hotspot portal. So I tested it myself on my own iphone.
Connect to my Wifi Hotspot, when prompted to login, I press on Cancel, then selected "Use Without Internet". Opened up a browser, it won't browse.
Opened the youtube app, it won't load, then suddenly, got a notification from Facebook messenger, a message was received. Opened it and was able to read the new message.
Opened the facebook app, and is able to browse from the facebook app. I even tried a "test" post on my wall and got posted.
Tried facebook messenger, able to read incoming new messages, but not able to reply. It won't send. But facebook app, it's as if it's not limited or blocked. Facebook app bypassed hotspot portal.

I was using firmware and packages 6.48.2 (stable) when I discovered this. Downgraded to 6.47.9 (long-term) and still got the same issue.
Also tried this on my android phone after downgrading to 6.47.9 and Facebook app still fully working even when not logged in on hotspot portal.

Now, where should I check this on my Mikrotik Hex S? Where should I start checking why FB app is able to bypass hotspot portal?

ImageImageImage

profKWL
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Facebook/Messenger App is able to bypass Hotspot Portal

Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:57 am

Problem fixed after disabling this rule

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Facebook/Messenger App is able to bypass Hotspot Portal

Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:59 pm

What rule is that?
Are you talking about a default firewall rule?
I checked the hotspot pages and there is no mention of firewall rules?