Community discussions

MikroTik App

rgroothuis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Switching to stronger signal, how to configure

Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:01 pm

I've multiple AP's (13x) on a larger harbour area, I want to force clients to move to a stronger signal when there is a stronger signal available, this for both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz and across multiple AP's.

Currently I was playing with the following config.
Screenshot 2021-04-26 at 20.58.21.png
But I'm not sure if this is the correct config? Any feedback, any suggestions?

Thanks for the support.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

karakuraizer
just joined

Re: Switching to stronger signal, how to configure

Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:48 am

Hi, the current 802.11 protocols (b\g\n\ac) are designed the way that the client chooses itself which radio AP to use (for apple devices for example signal drop to -75 db is the point)

so the only way for you to make some kind of "roaming wireless network" is to set same SSIDs and make a reject rule(wich drops device from current CAP and device will reconnect itself to better CAP if it finds one) with signal range parameters depending on your wireless signal strength and CAPs locations(start with default one like on your screenshot, it works for all wireless interfaces).

Usually you'll need some wireless signals analyzer to get it right and in the best way but in practice you can do it approximately just measuring signal with your laptop and some software which can scan wifi signals strength and noise,

do not take last statement as advice or guide =)

enabled default rules:
/caps-man access-list
add action=accept allow-signal-out-of-range=10s disabled=no interface=any signal-range=-80..120 ssid-regexp=""
add action=reject allow-signal-out-of-range=10s disabled=no interface=any signal-range=-120..-81 ssid-regexp=""
Last edited by karakuraizer on Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

rgroothuis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:56 am

Thanks for your feedback karakuraizer, appreciated.

Will this also work from switching from 5Ghz to 2.4Ghz on the same CAP? Does that also work in the same way with the rules listed in my initial post?

karakuraizer
just joined

Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:25 am

1. no it will not prevent devices to switch between 5 and 2.4 because it works the same way as wAP choosing(by device itself), but on most laptops you can select preferred band (5\2.4) in driver settings, also you can minimize TX Power(capsman->configuration->channel->tx power) of 2.4 interfaces so the devices will have to choose 5GHz band , more info here https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:W ... n_I_use.3F
2.it seems like yes, but you need to enable them, exporting parts of your config with cli is the best way to tell if something was configured right )