Community discussions

MikroTik App

rgroothuis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

VLAN with 2 Wifi networks on the same AP.

Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:05 pm

I'm struggling with the VLAN configuration. My Mikrotik AP's are behind a HP switch with 2 VLAN's and the default VLAN.

I want to have 2 WIFI networks (2 SSIDs) with each of them there own VLAN.
The Mikrotik AP is managed by the CAPSManager.

I'm struggling where to configure the VLAN (in CAPsManager, on the local AP, etc). I see it is possible in:
- Capsmanager - Datapaths,
- Capsmanager - Configuration - Datapath.
- Caps - Interface List - VLAN
Screenshot 2021-04-28 at 20.50.11.png
And how should the HP switch, the port to which the Mikrotik AP is connected to, configured, tagged, untagged......
The router behind the HP switch is handing out the IP addresses based on the VLAN connection. Currently I don't get a IP belonging to the VLAN I specify in the Mikrotik.

I tried many different configurations but didn't found the correct working config.
Any suggestions on how I should set this up? Do you need more info from me about the current setup?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VLAN with 2 Wifi networks on the same AP.

Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:11 pm

Basic decission to make is about local forwarding VS capsman forwarding.

If you're going with capsman forwarding, then you only have to set up VLANs for discovery interface. All the traffic will flow through this VLAN encapsulated in a sort of a tunnel regardless the VIDs associated with SSIDs.

If you're going with local forwarding, then you have to prepare all the VLANs needed (discovery interface plus any data paths) between main router and AP (including switch). They should be prepared just the same way as they would be for wired access or tagged ports (read this article about VLANs). After that set up data path on capsman (my favourite is under /caps-man datapath, then used in /caps-man configuration) specifying vlan-id to be used and vlan-mode=use-tag. When capsman provisions wireless interface, the interface gets added to bridge on AP (as configured on AP under /interface wireless cap) as tagged port while wireless driver takes care of tagging and untagging frames.

The HP switch should be setup the same way as router and AP.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:25 am

Easy peasy lemon squeezy........ sell your soult to the capsman devil or his evil henchman mkx.
Its post like this that keep me as far away from capsman as possible.
Enjoy!

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 01, 2021 6:48 pm

Local forwarding
Use VLAN TAG