Community discussions

MikroTik App

johnb175
just joined
Topic Author

Combo Station/CAP...

Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:52 am

I thought I read about this somewhere, but for the life of me I can't find it. I have a network with several CAPs managed by a CAPsMAN all running 6.48.2. I have a remote building that I currently have connected with a 5GHz SXT (RBSXTG-5HPacDr2) in station mode and behind it I have a WAPac (RBwAPG-5HacD2HnD) provisioned as a CAP for a few 2.4GHz devices. I started thinking maybe I could do this with just the single WAPac unit and get rid of the SXT. Could I provision the WAPac's 2GHz radio as a CAP leaving the 5GHz radio out of the CAP configuration and set the 5GHZ radio up as a station or pseudostation as the backhall to the main AP (it's not that far and the SXT is overkill). Is this possible and are there any tricks I should be aware of? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Combo Station/CAP...

Sat May 01, 2021 6:46 pm

Would seem so. Caps settings would allow that radio config.

johnb175
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Combo Station/CAP...

Sun May 02, 2021 6:36 am

I just wanted to report back that this setup did work. I simply excluded the 5GHz radio from the CAP and set it up in station mode with the appropriate settings. I then added the 5GHz radio as the CAP discovery interface and added it to the bridge with the two ethernet interfaces. It connected to my CAPsMAN and provisioned the 2.4GHz radio perfectly. I tested it for a day and everything worked properly including the cameras, and 2.4GHz wireless clients I had nearby.