Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:05 pm

Unpatched TV
Unpatched                     /
ISP_router -- Unprotected WLAN -- Wife and kids
                 \
           Mikrotik NAT -- Protected WLAN -- My patched phones/tablets
                  \ 
                Protected LAN -- Homelab 
My goal is to isolate "filthy entertainment" devices from "clean work" devices. I also would like to be able to stay protected while doing urgent fixes or doing Zoom from my phone over a hotel WiFi, where I can't normally get a wired connection. Hence the need for both inner and outer WLAN. I also think that NAT is a more proven means of protection than a firewalled router. And I understand the implications of double NAT, so it's acceptable. Performance doesn't matter, as long as it doesn't affect voice quality much.

My question is, can I do this with a single Mikrotik device? And will mAP or mAP lite suffice? If not, what minimum model/hardware configuration do I need?

Also, dual chain is merely MIMO, right? And at home I can use a wired WAN so it's an entirely unproblematic case. I also understand that Mikrotic can do store-and-forward WiFi repeating. But can it
do NAT as well? And can it isolate the WLANs without compiling lists of MACs manually. Of course my inner WLAN is on a separate SSID and with separate credentials.