Community discussions

MikroTik App

creatin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wifi between concrete walls

Sun May 02, 2021 2:10 am

Hi, I've been using so far wireless equipment only between clients with minimum obstacles but now I have a need to connect two clients apart 40-50 meters, one is in the garage (one level underground)
and the other client is on a building across the street on the second floor.
If there would be no concrete of the garage/building structure of the first client, they would see each other.
Connecting them with UTP cable is not an option, only solution is to use Wi-Fi connection.
In your opinion would two panel antennas of 15-20 dBs establish some "stable" connection between clients?
Any other suggestions?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Wifi between concrete walls

Sun May 02, 2021 12:25 pm

No that will not work. No need to try that!

LSan83
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun May 02, 2021 12:52 pm

Connecting them with UTP cable is not an option, only solution is to use Wi-Fi connection.
In your opinion would two panel antennas of 15-20 dBs establish some "stable" connection between clients?
Any other suggestions?
Mixed solution? Wireless bridge across road and utp cable from road to first client in garage?

creatin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun May 02, 2021 1:54 pm

Mixed solution? Wireless bridge across road and utp cable from road to first client in garage?
Unfortunately only wifi is an option :(

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 02, 2021 1:55 pm

Gladly a wireless bridge is...wireless.

I agree, you really want to use a point to point connection with line of sight.
What are the requirements?

Cablenut9
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun May 02, 2021 3:42 pm

I would start with this: https://mikrotik.com/product/lhg_xl_2

creatin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun May 02, 2021 6:28 pm

Gladly a wireless bridge is...wireless.

I agree, you really want to use a point to point connection with line of sight.
What are the requirements?
No needed for high speeds, couple of sensors for alarms and depending on the connection eventually 1-2 video cameras

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 02, 2021 11:36 pm

No that will not work. No need to try that!
+1

If you can not put the antenna outside the structure, seeing eachother, nothing works.

creatin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:47 pm

Hi, thanks everyone for comments and suggestions,
I've purchased one TPLINK and DLINK access points, 2 panel antennas 16 dbi each, will test the connection in following days and update.

techclerk

Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:08 pm

No needed for high speeds, couple of sensors for alarms and depending on the connection eventually 1-2 video cameras
Do you have any idea how much bandwidth 2 cameras require? A plain 2MP IP security camera requires at least 4Mbps(with h264 enabled). 2 cameras and sensors, etc. - minimum 10Mbps.And we are talking about stable 10Mbps, not peak 10Mbps. And you told us that one of two antennas will be one level underground and 50m away. Even if you have direct line of sight, speeds at this distance, unless using decent equipment are not guaranteed.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:28 am

What you need to do is run cable to achieve a LOS between the two panel antennas. That is how WIFI works in the pt to pt scenario.
There are places where pipes wires, and other items get passed between floors FIND it, use it.
If you cannot do that, why are you wasting your money??

creatin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:16 pm

Thank you all for proving me I was not right.
I couldn't get 2.4 GHz signal out the underground garage.
Tried with 2 panel antennas and later with 1 panel and Ubiquiti 13 dbi omni antenna.

Since I can't get UTP cable between 2 buildings another solution (maybe) is a GSM/LTE model in the garage, depends again on the signal.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:10 pm

GSM/LTE will probably have the same problem in an underground garage, unless you are lucky and there is a cell tower really close by.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:04 pm

Thank you all for proving me I was not right. I couldn't get 2.4 GHz signal out the underground garage. Tried with 2 panel antennas and later with 1 panel and Ubiquiti 13 dbi omni antenna.
Since I can't get UTP cable between 2 buildings another solution (maybe) is a GSM/LTE model in the garage, depends again on the signal.

May I ask why you can't use a cable between the buildings. I mean, there must be a way to enter and exit the buildings somehow, right? What about a window or air shaft?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:29 pm

Thank you all for proving me I was not right. I couldn't get 2.4 GHz signal out the underground garage. Tried with 2 panel antennas and later with 1 panel and Ubiquiti 13 dbi omni antenna.

May I ask why you can't use a cable between the buildings.
Well, he explains that the other building is "across the street". In many countries that means you cannot run a cable because you are not allowed to string cables across a street or dig a trench to put them under.
However, there could be the possibility to run a cable upward from the underground garage and attach an antenna to the building above street level or on the roof, and then beam the signal across the street. That should work, but of course we cannot remotely judge if that would be feasible.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:58 pm

Well, he explains that the other building is "across the street". In many countries that means you cannot run a cable because you are not allowed to string cables across a street or dig a trench to put them under. However, there could be the possibility to run a cable upward from the underground garage and attach an antenna to the building above street level or on the roof, and then beam the signal across the street. That should work, but of course we cannot remotely judge if that would be feasible.

My bad, missed the "across the street" thingy. A pointing antenna above ground seems like a reasonable alternative solution in this case.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:41 pm

I would use an external LOS connection between the two builings using 60hz tech.
then wire from there to the desired internal locations. All depends on what can be done from external to internal on the buildings.
Enter from roof side, or run conduit down a wall to an entry point etc........
https://mikrotik.com/product/wireless_wire_cube

creatin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:29 am

Unfortunately garage is in another building, I'm not allowed to put anything on the walls/roof of the building.
Garage space has a main entrance door and from there it is 15 meters to my garage doors.
Since WIFI doesn't pass through concrete I'll test if I can establish connection with LTE/cell modem

deadkat
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:12 pm

I personally run a non-line of sight wireless link for my home internet connection using the following config on a pair of these https://mikrotik.com/product/RBLHG-5HPnD-XL

This link is approx 3 miles long and runs through dense forest. I get a stable 15-20Mbps connection

config:
# oct/02/2021 15:48:01 by RouterOS 6.48.4
# software id = XXXX-XXXX
#
# model = RBLHG-5HPnD
# serial number = XXXXXX
/interface bridge
add name=bridge1 protocol-mode=none

/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk eap-methods="" mode=dynamic-keys name="Eastern Sunrise" supplicant-identity="" wpa2-pre-shared-key="******"
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] adaptive-noise-immunity=ap-and-client-mode ampdu-priorities=0,1 antenna-gain=0 band=5ghz-onlyn channel-width=10mhz compression=yes disabled=no distance=10 \
    frequency=5175 hide-ssid=yes ht-basic-mcs=mcs-8,mcs-9,mcs-10 ht-supported-mcs=mcs-8,mcs-9,mcs-10,mcs-11 hw-protection-mode=rts-cts installation=any mode=bridge nv2-cell-radius=10 \
    nv2-downlink-ratio=75 nv2-preshared-key="******" nv2-security=enabled rate-set=configured security-profile="Eastern Sunrise" ssid="Eastern Sunrise" tx-power=30 tx-power-mode=\
    all-rates-fixed wireless-protocol=nv2 wps-mode=disabled
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether1
add bridge=bridge1 interface=wlan1
/system identity
set name="The Eye of Sauron"
/tool romon
set enabled=yes
edit: I think you could have similar results on a 50m link unless this concrete is more than 2ft thick or has a ton of rebar inside for reinforcement....its really hard to make promises with NLOS links. you really just have to try it and see.

creatin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:46 am

I can try with 5 GHz link and high gain antennas but don't think it'll work, if 2.4 Ghz didn't go through concrete, 5 Ghz wouldn't go either.

deadkat
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:14 am

You can’t make any promises with nlos links. My long range link mentioned above will not work with 2.4Ghz but will work with 5Ghz.

Rule 1) nothing is certain with nlos links.

Having said that. I think your best solution may not be wireless. If you can get an antenna into the basement then why not a small hex lite or hap mini and vpn over to your sensors? Or, be an absolute madlad and run the v7.1 beta and use ZeroTier.

creatin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:35 pm

Hi again,

after exploring all the options I have, nothing worked.
No LTE connection, no Wifi 2.4 GHz / 5 GHz link possible but what I found is a lot of open WiFis in the building
where garage is placed. So I did a bit of research went to couple of bars in the building, got couple of wifi passwords
and will connect to one of them and put my sensors online :)
For now I managed to get stable connection of 4-5 mbit/s with one of the bar APs with TP-Link access point and 20 db panel antenna I had laying in the garage.
Now I need to connect another AP to TP-Link in order to get garage covered by WiFi signal.
Would HAP Lite be OK or do you recommend some other Mikrotik device (with possibility of connecting external antennas) which I can use instead of TP-Link and to esatblish connection to bar AP and to act as AP for my garage. Hope it makes sense.

current status:
TP-Link in client mode (panela antenna) - connected to bar AP, additional Dlink AP connected by cable to TP-Link, Dlink in AP mode covering garange

what I'd like to do:
use Mikrotik equipment with external antenna to connect to bar AP and Mikrotik to be as well AP for my garage, both client and AP in single device

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:12 pm

I am surprised someone would let you leach that sort of bandwidth.

creatin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:02 pm

They don't mind, I got 4-5 mbit/s max during testing period but I need maybe couple of kbit/s non-continuous since sensors update data every 10 min.
Anyway I'll go with RB433 and 2x 2.4 GHz network cards, one as a client and the other as AP.