Community discussions

MikroTik App

simsrw73
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Can't connect to new Audience

Sun May 02, 2021 8:23 pm

I just got an Audience to add wifi to my network. However, when I turn it connect it to the internet, and power it up it does not show up on any of my wifi devices (iPad, Android phone). It does power up. Ethernet port blinking. I tried resetting (hold reset and plug-in power until the light on the front blinks green a couple of times) but that didn't change anything except now it lights up blue solid and blinks red every few seconds. Why is it not showing up in the wifi scan? The instructions are extremely minimal without any troubleshooting advice. What am I doing wrong?

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Can't connect to new Audience

Mon May 03, 2021 3:46 pm

Log in with a computer and ethernet cable to the 2nd ethernet port. (the one NOT called internet)
Then open a browser and type following number in the browser address field: 192.168.88.1 and press enter.

You should see welcome screen of audience. just press connect (user admin, no password) to be able to see the status.

Then go to quickset and choose what you want to do (MESH extender, Dual band AP etc...).

simsrw73
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue May 04, 2021 1:07 am

Thanks, but I haven't been able to get this device to respond at all. Neither wifi nor ethernet cable direct to PC, setting static IP as per instructions. Windows shows Cable Unplugged. Nothing on the browser. WinBox neighbors & netinstall don't see it. I can sometimes get a ping, but at best, it always drops at least 1/4, sometimes all pings. I've tried 3 different ethernet cables and both ports. Is there any other possibility? Or should I ship back to Amazon for a replacement?

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue May 04, 2021 8:47 am

By default DHCP is active on Audience, no need to set static IP address on your PC.
Don't connect over the "internet" port, it will not work (default firewall blocks it), only connect with cable to 2nd Ethernet port .

The best is to use the Mikrotik tool "winbox" . You can download from Mikrotik download page (but works only on Windows systems).

With Winbox you will be able to connect on "MAC" level to the audience, thus no need to setup any special IP address etc.
Once downloaded, connect to Audience and open winbox. Check the "neighbour" view, if you see a device.
Then click on the MAC address and see if you can connect to the device.

If that does not help, either return it, or depending if you want to try, do a net install (rewrite latest firmware to the device).
I would recommend the "stable" version, which is what I am using on my audience.

simsrw73
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri May 07, 2021 11:35 pm

Just following up to say that the unit was defective. Amazon replaced it quickly and the new unit fired up and connected immediately. Very happy with the performance so far, though I'm very sure that I have much to learn on setting it up proper and optimizing it.