Community discussions

MikroTik App

avidpontoon
just joined
Topic Author

Slow 4G Speed

Wed May 05, 2021 9:21 pm

I am trying to get internet to a site with a very low ADSL speed (3mbps).

On my phone (iPhone 8) I get between 40 and 60mbps on 4G with VodafoneUK.

We purchased a RBLHGR&R11e-4G (MikroTik LHG 4G kit with 21dBi 25 degrees LTE directional antenna) for them and got a Vodafone Data SIM card to test it. Unfortunately, even out in the open, the router only managed to get between 3 and 11 mbps. Standing next to the dish I ran a speed test on my phone, and was getting about 60mbps on 4G.

I am not sure why the mikrotik can only get 3-11mbps. The connection within the LTE settings said ‘Evolved 3G (LTE)’ and the RSSI was between -55dbm to -71dbm. It’s connecting at band 20 and 10mhz.

Would it be because the antenna is only directional? Should I be using an omni-directional one?

Any help is appreciated.

vanille
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Slow 4G Speed

Thu May 06, 2021 10:53 am

Hello
I am quite new into Mikrotik products.
I just got a LTE cat4 kit and, compared to ZTE and Huawey cat4 modem... Mikrotik is running MUCH slower, even in the same conditions (same SIM, same place and registered in the same mobile cell).
Then I got another Mikrotik kit with LTE cat6 modem and it performs of course much better than the cat4, but always much slower compared to other cat6 devices.

I really do not know the reason...

Anyway you are comparing a cat4 Mikrotik with a cat12 iPhone that can aggregate 3 bands... and it is not fair.
You have to compare apples with apples.

JotaOS
just joined

Thu May 06, 2021 11:21 am

the reality is that perhaps in the iphone the operator can work with a band / frequency that perhaps the antenna you bought does not have ...

although I can attest to myself that the LHG lte6 kit antenna is crap! with telling him that with the router that the company that provides me internet gives me, it only gave me two signal lines with horrendous parameters and even so I obtained higher speed than with the mikrotik antenna that gives me excellent parameters but the connection is disgusting .. .

I would think that the worst line of the mikrotik brand is undoubtedly the LHG

vanille
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu May 06, 2021 12:15 pm

the reality is that perhaps in the iphone the operator can work with a band / frequency that perhaps the antenna you bought does not have ...
I do not think so.
With the Mikrotik LTE kit cat4.
I looked at the band\cell used by the Huawey modem and force the Mikrotik in the very same and it performs much slower. It means that the mikrotik in the best case can reach 6 Mbps, while the cat4 Huawey reached even 10 times better.
This is what happen during hours when the cells are heavy loaded
Making the test night time... there is smaller difference.

With the LTE cat6 Mikrotik... i can reach 20-30 Mbps with 2 bands aggregated, while a 10 years old samsung LTE cat4 with 2 bands also reaches 60 Mbps
The cell\bands\frequencies used are the very same.

Moreover... the Mikrotik has BIG BIG antennas compared to the ones into the Huawey modem or the old samsiung phone