Community discussions

MikroTik App

JaggerLegend
just joined
Topic Author

RB2011 wireless speed very low?

Mon May 10, 2021 11:37 am

Hi,

I reconfigured my RB2011 that I have since 2015. There was some issues with the speed and stability of my network.

After the reconfiguration it did not improve on the speed. If I check my providers speeds it is close to 280mbit/s while on the TIK I have 20 ~ 30 mbit/s and wired it is 202mbit/s but that is very much fluctuating.

I checked the power, CPU usage disabled the LCD etc all these actions did not improve my wireless network. Is there anyone who can help me on this one ? I'm depending on my network for smart home applications etc.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB2011 wireless speed very low?

Sun May 30, 2021 1:43 pm

It's a 2.4 only radio.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
Mark Twain

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 30, 2021 1:53 pm

Even if it's "only" 802.11n, it should still be able to give realistic throughput around 100Mbps ... given reasonably interference-free environment (which might be mission impossible in certain areas).

However, oficial test results indicate that realistic wired routing speed might peak at around 250Mbps (give or take)[*] and concurrent use of wireless will reduce that (wireless is quite CPU-intensive on those older devices).

[*] Experience goes that real-life device performance working as typical router/firewall is close to the number stated under "Routing - 25 ip filter rules - 512 byte packets", give or take 50% ... very much depending on particular setup. Use of PPPoE as WAN transport is known to hit the performance quite hard on certain types of devices.

You could post full configuration export (output of /export hide-sensitive) for review ...
BR,
Metod

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 30, 2021 2:09 pm

OP did not give information on the wireless connection.
What is the "interface rate" found in the "Registration tabel" ? Could be 144Mbps/2S/SG , but also 72Mbps/1S/SGI what are the best possible values for 20 MHz bandwidth. Could also be much less.
The "data rate" is only a percentage of the interface rate as we all know.
2.4 GHz 40 MHz channel width .... use it if it can be used.

colekayley
just joined

Mon May 31, 2021 10:13 am

ether2 is part of a bridge, and also have an ip address. this is very wrong.

you have a dhcp client on ether1. and also a static gateway config... so this sounds more like a broken router config then a pure accesspoint. you are not doing doublenatting i hope? if so that is also a source of pain. only nat on the border to public space, and never internally.

it does not seem like you reduce the tx power in any way. This leads to the RB2011 reaching a longer distance then the clients can reciprocate. Instead of roaming the clients stick to the out of range accesspoint.