Community discussions

MikroTik App

ivma87
just joined
Topic Author

hAP ac2 as travel router with multiple virtual stations

Sat May 15, 2021 7:25 am

Hello!
I've spent a lot of time trying to set it up, that's what I find. (sorry for longread, but I beleive it will help to understand whole situation)

I'm using Mikrotik RBD52G-5HacD2HnD-TC as traveling router for video streaming. I connect atem mini pro video switcher to it, and stream video to youtube. The Internet could be connected with multiple ways, sometimes with wire, sometimes I connect the router to a local AP or a shared ap from a smartphone wirelessly. I have to connect wirelessly in multiple places, so I need to save multiple settings in the router and connect to the local AP when I turn on the router, without reconfiguring it every time. so
I have 2 ways:
1. I can configure master AP on mikrotik with auto or manually selected frequency, and configure virtual station or stations. Virtual station will be started and try to connect only after master AP is started, and uses master AP's frequency. So if I would manually set up right frequency or auto frequency will automatically choose right frequency, than virtual station will connect to local AP, otherwise virtual station will not find saved local AP. In this case I have to start scanner, find AP, remember its frequency and choose right frequency in master AP settings of routerboard. It is long and difficult way, But I can save all configured virtual APs and set them all "ativated". But I have to manually scan and change the frequency of the master AP interface, then virtual AP connects. Usually I have only a smartphone with me, and scanning ang changing frequency of master AP is not fast and easy.
2. I can set up a Master Station, which will find the frequency of local AP (if it is reachable), connects to it, than virtual AP is started. But I can't connect to mikrotik before master station had started, because virtual AP is starting after master station. So, if the Master Station is not started (local ap is not reachable) I can't connect and configure it from my smartphone.

I'm using station on both, 2.4 and 5 gghz, so I can't create AP on one master and station on another.

Also. I had thought about scripting, but it is not a way for me. It is not flexible, I mean if something changed, I have to rescript or add some changes, and usually I don't have a time for it. So, I can try to make a script, but what should I do If I come to a new place with another one [not scripted] local AP, or, if scripted AP has changed? I have to write some lines to a script from a phone, but I don't write scripts very often, so, I can just forget what should I script... If I have some problems, I just can't fix it.

I wrote to mikrotik support and they suggested me to make a post here.
Actually I've asked them to add a mode, where the user can save multiple configurations of a station, and routerboard mikrotik will scan frequencies and search for one of saved ssid+password (as it works on every laptop or smartphone), and start AP if nothing is reachable or using some timeout, and scan in background. Also this mode can be used for wan reservation, if you have number local ap, and you can connect to some of them, but those ap are in one, for exemple 2.4gghz mode, and have different frequencies, in this situation you have to change frequency manually if connection is lost. The mode I'm asking about can help in this situation.
Support unswered that they will try to find a way to make it, but they need more requests from users, so if you struggling the same thing, or you think that such mode can be usefull, please write some words in this thread.
Last edited by ivma87 on Mon May 24, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: hAP ac2 as travel router with multiple virtul stations

Sat May 15, 2021 12:10 pm

Check this one. (I use this for my travel MAP Lite)

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=169032&hilit=map#p833474