Community discussions

MikroTik App

jfreak53
Topic Author

Best Wireless Router for Warehouse

Thu May 20, 2021 5:19 pm

What would be recommended equipment for a 10,000 sq ft warehouse with a couple of walls in between? It's open but a lot of metal since it's a machine shop, racks and machine and such.

I'd like to get away with 1 unit if possible, but I know 2 might be necessary. I know without doing a site audit and seeing the place it's hard to say, but thought I'd get some ideas of good signal strength units and run some tests?

Thanks!

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Best Wireless Router for Warehouse

Thu May 20, 2021 9:24 pm

First, dont presuppose the solution.
Second, not enough information.
Who is using the WIFI, what kind of devices and where and for what purpose.
If you have people walking in the aisles that are high with metal racking you may need a device per aisle for example.

Much more detailed information required as to layout of aisles and metal and usage.....................
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=147932&p=728349&hil ... se#p728349

jfreak53
Topic Author

Thu May 20, 2021 11:25 pm

A laptop for work, other than that cell phones from roughly 5 to 8 workers.

Not high isles, maybe 12 ft racks and not many of those even. Most of the racks are on the walls. Other than that, just CNC machines on the sides and open main isle.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 21, 2021 12:21 am

I would try and do a site survey but likely two devices to start would be reasonable.
I suggest based on gotsprings experience that your best bet is Ruckus wifi coupled to Mikrotik Router.
Last edited by anav on Fri May 21, 2021 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jfreak53
Topic Author

Fri May 21, 2021 12:37 am

Thanks for the advice! Do I take it Mikrotiks Basebox2 or 5 doesn't come close to Ruckus wifi signal ability?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 21, 2021 12:51 am

Thanks for the advice! Do I take it Mikrotiks Basebox2 or 5 doesn't come close to Ruckus wifi signal ability?
I would try to engage gotsprings in a thread or conversation as he has experience with Ruckus I do not.
Nor do I have experience with MT outdoor products. One of the reasons one needs multiple APs indoors is that range on the personal devices is not great.
So one can have the most powerful APs in the world so that we can receive signals, from afar but we cannot push our weak signals very far..
(chain is only as good as its weakest link!).

Cablenut9
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri May 21, 2021 5:25 am

If you need to receive some weak signal from far away, I would try a mANTBox 19s or 52 15s.

djdrastic

Fri May 21, 2021 2:34 pm

What do you want to actually achieve ?
Do you just need a link from one side of the warehouse to the other side or do you need cover the warehouse for wifi for cranes,forklifts,inventory management ?

I've done Blanket installs and you'll need much more than 1 AP and probably move to Ruckus,Aruba,Cambium or if funds are tight Ubnt.
I would highly recommend you do a proper survey or pay someone who has done this thing before to do a proper survey.

jfreak53
Topic Author

Fri May 21, 2021 7:43 pm

What do you want to actually achieve ?
Do you just need a link from one side of the warehouse to the other side or do you need cover the warehouse for wifi for cranes,forklifts,inventory management ?

I've done Blanket installs and you'll need much more than 1 AP and probably move to Ruckus,Aruba,Cambium or if funds are tight Ubnt.
I would highly recommend you do a proper survey or pay someone who has done this thing before to do a proper survey.
I want to blanket the warehouse for wifi for cell phones and one laptop work computer on the far side.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 21, 2021 7:55 pm

Do you have ethernet jacks available at various locations or were you planning on using wifi for connecting access points?

jfreak53
Topic Author

Fri May 21, 2021 8:20 pm

Do you have ethernet jacks available at various locations or were you planning on using wifi for connecting access points?
Yes, we are running cable for them. Looking at Ruckus their prices are obnoxious! I do understand the high power output and antennas the units have, but still.

What is the best antenna Mikrotik has as far as power output?

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 29, 2021 2:34 pm

Not even close.

Yes, we are running cable for them. Looking at Ruckus their prices are obnoxious! I do understand the high power output and antennas the units have, but still.

What is the best antenna Mikrotik has as far as power output?
Have done a few warehouses over the years.

Would never even consider Mikrotik wireless in one.

Tiks lack MU-MIMO. And have exceptionally poor interference mitigation.

And you are gonna need more than one AP if you have any sort of size or obstructions in the place.

Usually I have to place units near the front door in the receiving bay. Then some down the aisles ceilings.

What's on the shelf matters. Like the HVAC warehouse vs county DLC warehouse. Materials that bounce vs absorb etc.

Yeah the Ruckus will cost more... But your client's want a solution and not a constant problem.