Community discussions

MikroTik App

ParaHandy
just joined
Topic Author

CAP - change settings after initial config

Sun May 23, 2021 11:09 pm

It's a tribute to MikroTik that I only have to ask a question every two years! The down side is I still don't really understand...

A new CAP ac is powered up - I log in on 192.168.88.1
I set up a simple access point using WISP.
I tell it to get IP addresses from the Eth 1 over the LAN
I configure the wireless and add passwords etc.

All is good the wireless works - the router (BT Smart Hub 2 - I'm in the UK) behind the switch behind the CAP provides DHCP and all is fine.

Now I want to change a setting, how do I log into the CAP? I can't seem to find it on the 'attached devices' list of router and of course 192.168.88.1 doesn't work.
I can reset and start again but isn't there an easier way?

I tried WinBox trying to connect using the MAC address but my desktop is on a different switch and it doesn't seem to work.

ta

PH

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CAP - change settings after initial config

Mon May 24, 2021 12:17 pm

WISP mode means that cAP can only be administered over WAN link ... because in this mode device is considered as ISP's border device. It's been long time since I used QuickSet, but I'd say HomeAP is the mode you want.

Just a warning: if you switch over to normal webfig/winbox (as opposed to QuickSet) to change some setting, don't ever go back to QuickSet mode because QuickSet UI is not smart enough to take your changes into account.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 24, 2021 1:40 pm

I use bridge setting on all my capacs. I keep ether2 as a separate access to the capac (not on bridge) with the default address 0f 192.168.88.1 so that I can always access the capac no matter if I screw up the config.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 24, 2021 4:07 pm

@anav, is it a QuickSet option?

No, I didn't think so either. ;-)

But then I guess your setup is what @OP wanted, but couldn't describe his requirements ... in plain words (as you like to put it). I guess we should make MT devs to add a "plain AP" mode to the list of QuickSet configurations.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 25, 2021 1:17 am

Well mkx,
The reason I did that is because I was such a bumbling idiot while configuring the capac I would lock myself out of it and have to keep resetting it to defaults etc.
Also One of the capacs is high up on a wall and I mean really high (two story wall) and what I did was have the ether2 cable come out in another location so that I could attach a laptop to it if needed.