Community discussions

MikroTik App

AnonTikUser
just joined
Topic Author

Audience with CAPsMAN & VLANs Issues

Fri May 28, 2021 4:29 pm

Hello,

I am hoping someone can assist with a configuration issue. The scenario is that I am trying to provide a mesh network for many different users. I want the SSIDs to be separated by network and VLAN, so as to be independent and secure data streams that can be manipulated individually. Right now, I am utilizing the CAPsMAN for the wireless configuration. I have successfully linked the Audience units together. I have set up individual VLANs for each configuration under the CAPsMAN and added VLAN tagging under datapaths. I have created unique DHCP servers for each VLAN. I have created separate network IP blocks for each VLAN, as well. I have added the VLANs under the bridge and to each wireless interface. I am tagging the VLANs on the wireless interfaces, but not the bridge of the base. I am able to have everything work as anticipated from the base station but not the mesh units. I have noticed when connecting to the secondary units, that I am not getting an IP address from the DHCP servers. Since the DHCP servers are set up on the VLANs, and are different networks from the bridge, I am guessing that this is the issue. When I try to turn on DHCP Client on the mesh units it never finds the servers. I am not fully understanding how the communication streams are working. I would guess that the Audience mesh units are acting as repeaters for the base. They communicate to each other via wlan3, but that does not necessarily serve as a wireless trunk between the units, or does it? How might I need to configure the mesh unit for this to work? Should it be a near duplication with all the listed VLANs, etc? Just confused with it being CAPsMAN and it being an Audience versus a standard wireless point-to-point link or cabled link. Not sure how it works, which makes it difficult to diagnose as to what might be the problem, quite obviously. Any insights? Any attempted assistance is appreciated.