MikroTik App

axotik
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Help with Setup

Mon May 31, 2021 5:18 am

Hello.
I am trying to find out if it is possible at all what i am trying to achieve with the following setup:

i have a network on the linksys (172.30.245.252) that i need to extend with the 2 mikrotik wifi cAPs, while at the same time,
the first cAP is a hotspot server with a different network 192.168.88.1. cAP2 is extending the hotspot from cAP1.
Given that the APs have only 2 ethernet ports, i am not sure it is actually possible to do this?
Ethernet port 1 is hooked to the linksys, then the second port chains to the second AP. So this single port (eth2) should have 2 different networks on it.

Should i get a mikrotik wifi router with more ethernet ports + just one cAP or is there a way to set this with what i already have?

Here is a screenshot of the current setup.

Right now i have WLAN1 and WLAN2 (2.4&5ghz antennas) assigned to the Hotspot bridge (192.168.88.1)
I created WLAN3 and WLAN4 and attached the "bridge-local" to them hoping i would get an IP from the linksys network but i still get 192.168.88.x ip range from the hotspot DHCP.
I need the linksys network in the cAPs so clients get access to the backoffice printer hoked to the linksys network.. thats the whole reason i am doing all this.

Thank you!

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Help with Setup

Mon May 31, 2021 8:11 am

It can be done if you configure VLANs on link between the two cAPs. You'll need some general knowledge about VLANs, this tutorial nicely describes how it's done on Mikrotik devices.

axotik
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon May 31, 2021 10:37 pm

Ok i read the post and watched a few basic tutorials about basic VLAN setups. Pretty complex stuff for me.
I see VLAN are setup to use an ip from the available pool.. but i am trying to not use a DHCP server from the mikrotik here.. i want to bring the DHCP server from the linksys router,
like a pass through from the actual WAN port in the cAP while at the same time having the hotspot server on the first cAP.
Could you point me to any tutorial that may help me figure out this setup ?
Thanks

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 31, 2021 10:42 pm

Do not exist tutorial for each single needs of each users.

axotik
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:43 am

I figured it out myself.there was no need for any VLAN complexities,,,, I just created a bridge and attached the additional wifi extension to the main ether gateway
and got the pass-trough i needed.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:56 pm

Dude you should use the linksy for wifi and get a real router, a small hexS is great or if you are a power user the RB4011.