Community discussions

MikroTik App

AndreMostertRSA
just joined
Topic Author

HAP AC2 WIFI connection jittery/lagging Oculus Quest 2 Airlink

Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:43 am

Good Day

I am new to the forum and would like to say I love Mikrotik products! they work and work well and love the regular updates they receive compared to more commercial products.

I am currently running a HAP AC2 in my living room and I am experiencing quite a bit of lag/jitter when using Oculus airlink.
I am running it on 5GHz and using the oculus about 2-3m away from the HAP AC2, signal strength is excellent (-44 dBm) and TX/RX Rate is 866Mbps. I have even tried disabling the 2.4GHz.
My PC is also connected to the router by gigabit ethernet. I live in a freestanding house with no close neighbors so WIFI interference should not be a problem.
I have tried leaving all settings at default and routerOS version is 6.47.10 long term
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-b/g/n channel-width=20/40mhz-XX \
    disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=auto installation=indoor mode=\
    ap-bridge security-profile=default ssid="VR-5GHz" station-roaming=\
    enabled wireless-protocol=802.11
I had initially assumed the issue was with the PC but I did try with another PC and another Oculus Quest 2 Headset with the same issue. I had then scratched out an old TPlink N600 5GHz AP and found that it worked perfectly. I had then tried a brand new spare HAP AC2 using quick set to set it up as a WISP AP in bridge mode with the same poor results compared to the much older TPlink N600 5HGz AP.

I fiddled with the Wireless settings for a few days and found that the best settings was 5GHz A/N with a channel width of 20/40MHz XX gave much better results, but was still not as good as the TPlink N600 AP. I also found that just using the 2.4GHz wifi gave better results than the 5GHz.

I am sure I just need to adjust some or other setting or protocol to get much better results. There are so many settings that I do not understand and I have exhausted my DIY level of knowledge around Mikrotik networking before asking the community for assistance. I would appreciate any advice and thank you in advance.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: HAP AC2 WIFI connection jittery/lagging Oculus Quest 2 Airlink

Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:36 pm

Could you please share your /wireless export?
You only have the 2.4GHz interface exported, while you mentioned the problems occur on the 5GHz band.

AndreMostertRSA
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:24 pm

You only have the 2.4GHz interface exported, while you mentioned the problems occur on the 5GHz band.
Sorry, what an idiot, I was at my office when I posted so i just edited the name of my SSID, didn't want to post my company's name online.

Here is my export
[andre@Andre's Home] > export
# jun/08/2021 21:16:12 by RouterOS 6.47.10
# software id = WNND-A1MJ
#
# model = RBD52G-5HacD2HnD
# serial number = BEEB0AAC3D50
/interface bridge
add admin-mac=74:4D:28:CF:27:21 auto-mac=no comment=defconf name=bridge
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-b/g/n channel-width=20/40mhz-XX country="united states" disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=auto installation=indoor mode=ap-bridge name="WIFI 2.4GHz" ssid=Andre wireless-protocol=802.11
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] band=5ghz-n/ac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-XXXX country="south africa" disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=auto installation=indoor mode=ap-bridge name="WIFI 5GHz" ssid="Andre 5GHz" wireless-protocol=802.11 wps-mode=\
    disabled
/interface list
add comment=defconf name=WAN
add comment=defconf name=LAN
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] authentication-types=wpa-psk,wpa2-psk mode=dynamic-keys supplicant-identity=MikroTik wpa-pre-shared-key=SomeWifiPassword2 wpa2-pre-shared-key=SomeWifiPassword2
/ip hotspot profile
set [ find default=yes ] html-directory=flash/hotspot
/ip pool
add name=dhcp ranges=192.168.3.10-192.168.3.254
/ip dhcp-server
add address-pool=dhcp disabled=no interface=bridge name=defconf
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether2
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether3
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether4
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether5
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface="WIFI 2.4GHz"
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface="WIFI 5GHz"
/interface list member
add comment=defconf interface=bridge list=LAN
add comment=defconf interface=ether1 list=WAN
/ip address
add address=192.168.3.1/24 comment=defconf interface=ether2 network=192.168.3.0
add address=192.168.1.22/24 interface=ether1 network=192.168.1.0
/ip dhcp-client
add comment=defconf interface=ether1
/ip dhcp-server network
add address=192.168.3.0/24 comment=defconf dns-server=192.168.3.1 gateway=192.168.3.1 netmask=24
/ip dns
set allow-remote-requests=yes servers=1.1.1.1,8.8.8.8
/ip dns static
add address=192.168.3.1 comment=defconf name=router.lan
/ip firewall nat
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat comment="defconf: masquerade" ipsec-policy=out,none out-interface-list=WAN
/ip route
add distance=1 gateway=192.168.1.1
/system clock
set time-zone-name=Africa/Johannesburg
/system identity
set name="Andre's Home"
/system routerboard settings
set auto-upgrade=yes

kirenida
just joined

Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:26 pm

A bit offtopic, but related:

It looks like the hAp ac2 just has bad wireless.
Now on my second unit (returned first one because I thought it was a hardware problem), I'm getting a lot of retransmits when connected to 5GHz-N/AC, which is causing problems with streaming audio/video over my local network.

Both units were brand new, latest firmware, default settings, manually set channel in a quiet neighbourhood, I've tried basically everything that I could find online, tested with various devices, it's just bad / not suitable for my use case.

I'm currently using an old tp-link router with Openwrt just as an AP, as the wifi on the hAp is practically unusable in my case.

edit: if you can, try running an iperf3 test just to see if you also get retransmits. Nothing too complicated, you just need to start a server on a device using a wired connection and test from a device connected wirelessly.

toxicfusion
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:10 pm

/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-b/g/n channel-width=20/40mhz-XX country="united states" disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=auto installation=indoor mode=ap-bridge name="WIFI 2.4GHz" ssid=Andre wireless-protocol=802.11
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] band=5ghz-n/ac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-XXXX country="south africa" disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=auto installation=indoor mode=ap-bridge name="WIFI 5GHz" ssid="Andre 5GHz" wireless-protocol=802.11 wps-mode=\
disabled
[/code]
Hi Andre,

First, Upgrade your device to the latest long-term '6.47.10' release. I'm having good success with this over 6.45.9 'My usual go-to'.

Issue appears to be your wireless configuration...
change distance=indoors
to
distance=any

Please update your 2.4Ghz radio configuration to ONLY be 2Ghz G/N and 20Mhz width, NO EXTENSION CHANNEL!.

Update your 5Ghz radio configuration to be 5Ghz A/N/AC - 20/40/80mhz-XXXX

PLEASE do a Spectral scan - make sure no interfering channels!!

"frequency=auto"

Change the Frequency to a proper channel 1,6,11 for 2.4ghz

for 5Ghz use non DFS channels.

Your performance and stability will improve! Dont lose hope.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:02 pm

change distance=indoors
to
distance=any
I think here you meant to say change installation=indoor to installation=any, not distance=any. distance=indoors is ok for that setting and is the default.

toxicfusion
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:59 am

change distance=indoors
to
distance=any
I think here you meant to say change installation=indoor to installation=any, not distance=any. distance=indoors is ok for that setting and is the default.
Yes - Thank you for the correction! Appreciate you. Big typo on my behalf.