Community discussions

MikroTik App

Voxx
just joined
Topic Author

Wifi troubles when using CAPSMAN and multiple SSIDs

Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:45 pm

Hi guys, I think I need an advice because I'm empty on ideas how to fix my setup. All seems to be working, but at some point strange things starts to happen.

As a start point I have:
1. Old 3-floors brick building with a thick walls. Around 3000 square meters.
2. CCR-1009 as a main router (main/failover ISP, DHCP, DNS, CAPSMAN, VPN)
3. Layer of switches on each floor (3 * CRS-125, 3 * CRS-326, 3 * CRS-328)
4. 38 wAP AC access points.

All that setup transmits a 'seamless' wifi all over the building using CAPSMAN. There is a number of companies located in that building and each of them wants private VLAN (which they already have) and in addition to that some of them want to use wifi to be mobile and walk all over the building being in the same VLAN. That's why I've configured a number on configurations in CAPSMAN and basically I'm already transmitting 9 virtual interfaces (SSIDs) on a single physical 5Ghz interface. To be more specific each AP transmits 9 SSIDs all over the building. All that worked well while it was 2 SSIDs and 50 users. But when it came to 6 SSIDs and 200 users things got worse.

Some answers on basic questions:
1. All devices have ROS 6.47.9 installed, routerboard is also updated
2. VLANs are configured on the bridge
3. CAPSMAN is alone and it is configured on CCR
4. We're mostly using 5Ghz network, but there also are 2 SSIDs on 2.4 Ghz.

Finally, what's the problem?
1. Unstable wifi. For some reason sometimes ping drops to 2000ms with no reason and everything slows down. And after 10 seconds it recovers back with nothing in logs. Sometimes it starts throwing users from one AP to another with no reason. User at this time is not moving seating at his work desk. Sometimes laptops are disconnected from that AP at all.
2. Well known thing with 'dhcp offering lease without success'... Which from the end-user's point looks like he is joining wifi with no internet in it. Since he is able to join, but nothing works because laptop didn't get the IP address. Moreover this covers not only Apple devices, but I can see the same problem with printers and windows machines. On the windows devices though I can fix it using ipconfig /renew. After that all works fine for some time.

And I can't really understand if those problems are independent or one of them leads to another. (I'm pretty much sure that users complaining that they got dropped off from wifi are just not able to renew dhcp lease with the #2 problem).

And in the end, I'm just curious, how do think if that setup has a right to live and evolve at all?