Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

firebat
Topic Author

Multi-sector WDS on a tower?

Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:21 am

Are any folks running WDS on a single tower with three 120 sectors. From the diagram below, AP2, AP3, AP4 are the 120 sectors on a tower powered three separate R52s in a single 532A . AP2 will have a WDS link to AP1. AP3 will have a WDS link to AP5 and AP6. AP5 and AP6 will have a WDS link between them. In order for WDS to work, I have to configure all of these APs to use the same frequency. For the tower with AP2, AP3, and AP4, do I put them all on a bridge in the 532? I am not sure how to implement the WDS config on the tower router? Should I expect and sector interference since all three will be on the same frequency?

AP1
|
|
AP2 Tower with three 120 sectors
AP3 AP4
| \
|--\
|----\
|------\
|--------\
AP5 -----AP6

MarTux
just joined

Re: Multi-sector WDS on a tower?

Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:23 pm

Well
I think that you will be in bigg troubles with this configuration: i see that you want to make AP3 in wds wih AP5 and AP6, then you want to make AP5 and AP6 in wds between them, you will make a loop in doing that (AP3--AP5--AP6--AP3). To avoid this loop, don't make AP5 and AP6 in WDS the trafic between them will pass through AP3.
Remember, you didn't use the 3rd sector (AP4)
As far as frequencies are concerned, since you have 3 separated Radio modules you can make every one in a different Freq, even i can see that you must make them in different freq because if not you will have interferencies.
So i advice you to configure every sectror as a separated link then make all interfaces (wlan interfaces and wds interfaces) in same bridge.

firebat
Topic Author

Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:19 am

Thanks for the comments. :D

In order for the MESH to work, all APs need to have the same SSID. If I configure the APs as follows, will this allow seemless mobility between APs?:

AP1---AP2 : Freq 2312 SSID: test WDS configured between AP1-AP2
AP4 : Freq 2342 SSID: test
AP3,AP5, AP6: Freq 2372 SSID: test WDS configured betwen AP3-AP5 and AP3-AP6

For the tower, I assume I need to add a bridge containing AP2,3,4 and the WDS links so that all APs will be on the same subnet? Is this the proper config? Will this work properly for AP seemless AP handoff?

MarTux
just joined

Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:15 pm

It's ok, it will work.
In doing that you will insure the connectivity between your sites (layer 2).
Then you can make your IP configuration (layer 3).