Community discussions

MikroTik App

veez999
just joined
Topic Author

Newbie to Mikrotik - Help with Mikrotik Routerboard AP

Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:13 pm

Hi All,
So i purchased 2 x Mikrotik Routerboard(RbcAPGi-5acD2nd). Only one is installed at the moment as im still running a standard Unify L/R at the other end of the house. I have a Tenda router(wireless off) which im dishing out DHCP and a standard DLINK gigabyte switch. My fibre is 100Mbps and getting about 92Mbps on ethernet.

This is what i have already done:

Used Winbox to configure settings.
Enabled AP bridge
Created 2 security profiles for wireless - 1 for main and the other for guest
Enabled 2 WLAN interfaces to obtain 2.4 and 5ghz.
Did a frequency scan for both interfaces and set a static config instead of auto.
Im using this access point as we speak.

My issues:

By default, they have ip 192.168.88.1. Any wireless clients connecting to them will get the AP DHCP range. Do i leave this setup as is?
Do i set a static IP to the first one if im going to add another? IP conflict 192.168.88.1?
Will i have an issue on my network having dhcp running on my ISP router and the AP?
How do i go about installing the second one with same SSID's? This is where i am really struggling.
I need roaming between the devices.
Currently my internet speeds are poor even if i stand right underneath the AP- i get around 60Mbps. Not sure if 5GHZ is working effectively. If i sit in my lounge which is about 5M away from the AP with line of sight, i get about 40Mbps. Certain days(seldom), i will get about 70Mbps on my devices.

Thanks in advance

veez999
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Newbie to Mikrotik - Help with Mikrotik Routerboard AP

Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:49 pm

Ok i want to achieve what is shown as per diag. I have 2 x CAP AC's. The wiki states the this though :- Note: It is not required that your router has a Wireless interface, but it is required that the "wireless" package is installed. For this setup a RB960 (hEX PoE) and two RB912 were used, but any router running RouterOS and any device having at least one Wireless interface and running RouterOS can be used.

I have a non Mikrotik Router( Tenda AC1200). How do i setup the above as CAPSMAN?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.