Community discussions

MikroTik App

SunBlade0
just joined
Topic Author

Extending WLAN over multiple repeater

Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:18 am

Hi,
i have been tasked with building a WLAN network for our smelter. The place is not big (approximately 500m diameter), but our heavy machinery might block off certain parts/paths. So, if someone needs to put a lead wall down for the day, i need to find a way to connect from one side of the wall to the other.
i have six NetMetal ac² and intent to place them on the outer perimeter. i have found some spots where they can even see each other most of the time.
placement.png
hopefully they are close enough to get half decent connection to each other.
worst case scenario: a lead wall (red bar) has been moved between two repeater (rectangles), and two people or equipment (circles) on opposite sides need to connect to each other.

currently i am planning to use the 5Ghz band for connections between repeater (cyan arrows), and the 2Ghz band to connect people and equipment (green arrows).
as far as i know the only way to dynamically reroute WLAN, if something moves inbetween repeater, is WDS.

as it stands, one NetMetal will be configured as mode=ap-bridge on the 5Ghz band and as CAPsMAN for the 2Ghz band. the other NetMetals will run as mode=wds-slave on the 5Ghz band and as CAPs on the 2Ghz band.

is there an other/better solution for a dynamically routing WLAN?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SunBlade0
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Extending WLAN over multiple repeater

Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:45 pm

for anyone interested, this is my config:

CAPsMAN:
/interface bridge
add admin-mac={ether1-MAC} auto-mac=no name=bridge priority=0x1000

/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge interface=ether1 internal-path-cost=1 path-cost=1 priority=0x10 trusted=yes
add bridge=bridge interface=sfp1 internal-path-cost=1 path-cost=1 priority=0x20 trusted=yes

/interface wireless security-profiles
set [find default=yes] authentication-types=wpa2-psk mode=dynamic-keys wpa2-pre-shared-key="secret"

/interface wireless
set wlan2 band=5ghz-onlyac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-XXXX country=germany disabled=no frequency=auto installation=outdoor mode=ap-bridge rx-chains=0,1 skip-dfs-channels=10min-cac ssid=5Ghz_Repeater tx-chains=0,1 wds-default-bridge=bridge wds-mode=dynamic-mesh wireless-protocol=802.11 wps-mode=disabled

/caps-man channel
add band=2ghz-onlyn control-channel-width=20mhz extension-channel=XX name=2ghz-auto

/caps-man datapath
add bridge=bridge client-to-client-forwarding=yes local-forwarding=yes name=bridge

/caps-man security
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk encryption=aes-ccm group-encryption=aes-ccm name=pass passphrase="secret"

/caps-man configuration
add channel=2ghz-auto country=germany datapath=bridge hide-ssid=no installation=outdoor mode=ap name=internal rx-chains=0,1,2,3 security=pass ssid=2Ghz_LAN tx-chains=0,1,2,3

/caps-man manager
set ca-certificate=auto certificate=auto enabled=yes

/caps-man provisioning
add action=create-dynamic-enabled hw-supported-modes=gn master-configuration=internal name-format=prefix-identity name-prefix=cap
add master-configuration=internal name-format=prefix-identity name-prefix=cap

/interface wireless cap
set bridge=bridge caps-man-addresses=127.0.0.1 certificate=request enabled=yes interfaces=wlan1

/ip neighbor discovery-settings
set discover-interface-list=!dynamic

/ip dhcp-client
add disabled=no interface=bridge

/system clock
set time-zone-name=Europe/Berlin

/system routerboard settings
set auto-upgrade=yes boot-delay=1s
the other five:
/interface bridge
add admin-mac={ether1-MAC} auto-mac=no name=bridge

/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge interface=ether1 internal-path-cost=1 path-cost=1 priority=0x60 trusted=yes
add bridge=bridge interface=sfp1 internal-path-cost=1 path-cost=1 priority=0x70 trusted=yes

/interface wireless security-profiles
set [find default=yes] mode=dynamic-keys authentication-types=wpa2-psk wpa2-pre-shared-key="secret"

/interface wireless
set wlan2 band=5ghz-onlyac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-XXXX country=germany disabled=no frequency=auto installation=outdoor mode=wds-slave rx-chains=0,1 skip-dfs-channels=10min-cac ssid=5Ghz_Repeater tx-chains=0,1 wds-default-bridge=bridge wds-mode=dynamic-mesh wireless-protocol=802.11 wps-mode=disabled

/interface wireless cap
set bridge=bridge certificate=request enabled=yes interfaces=wlan1

/ip neighbor discovery-settings
set discover-interface-list=!dynamic

/ip dhcp-client
add disabled=no interface=bridge

/system clock
set time-zone-name=Europe/Berlin

/system routerboard settings
set auto-upgrade=yes boot-delay=1s

luckily at least one NetMetal is attached to the rest of our network via RJ-45. so i decided to make that one CAPsMAN and root bridge.
that also means i can distribute all IP config using DHCP, including NTP- and CAPsMAN-server.

in order to limit retransmissions CAPsMAN is configured to use local forwarding and only the WDS interfaces are added to the bridges.