Community discussions

MikroTik App

vanille
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

wAP ac LTE6 kit use report

Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:30 am

I would like to report here the results of several weeks using the wAP ac LTE6 kit.
I must admit that I have a lot of modems\routers LTE cat4, cat6, cat12 and the only reason
I got the MikroTik is the cell\band lock capability.

Just out of the box, put the SIM inside, switch it on, configure the APN and.... go.
The device works... without apparently major problems, but:
the download speed is terrible compared to other cat6 on the same ISP and same position
The strange thing is that night time, when the traffic on the BTS is lower, the Mikrotik speed
is more or less comparable to my other Huawey and ZTE. During the day Huawey and ZTE try to
keep the same speed but the MikroTik drops by 5 to 10 times.
Support says that BTS and ISP infrastrcture use Huawey HW inside and are optimized for Huawey device.
I can not believe... what about ZTE and all the other smartphones?
The local reseller says that MikroTik is for stability and not for speed, so... for a while I try
to forget the speed and focus my attention to the... stability.

I make a lot of audio and/or video conference call from home for work, with Microsoft Teams and\or Google Meet (up to 4 hours a day) and out of the box the MikroTik is not usable. Here the reason:
Close to me there is a BTS (300 meters more or less) and ALL the devices I have (modem\router, smartphones, etc) connect to the B3 of this BTS as primary band and ALSO the MikroTik.
MikroTik connects to the B3 as primary band and keeps working with just one band, so no CA, until the
traffic keeps to be medium\low. Once traffic starts to grow, then the Mikrotik aggregates 2 bands:
this is OK and also other devices work in this way. Two issues:
As I said, normally the MikroTik DOES not aggregate bands but more or less every minute the MikroTik
switches from 1 band to 2 aggregated bands for just for 2\3 seconds then goes back to 1 band.
Every time this happens, my calls drop because the MikroTik looses packets and pings fail.
This problem affects call conference only, let me say real time traffic.
The only way to solve is to lock the MikroTik on one band only to avoid CA.
The second issue is not critical but very strange: when the MikroTIk is not doing CA and you start to produce high traffic, then it starts aggregating 2 bands and the download takes lot of seconds to starts.

Cell lock: if I lock the cell to something specific, then afer an unpredictable time (from minutes to 1 or 2 hours) the modem stops working. It says it is connected, but it is like to be in hang.
For this only issue the support provided to me a new firmware still not available over the air (version 28) that solves the issue.

Cell monitor
Here my provider uses B1, B3, B7 and B20 but for reasons I do not know, the MikroTik sometimes sees only some bands and not others. it happens it sees only B20 and it does not connect to B3 but if
I reset the LTE... it starts working again.

On the 5 GHz SSID, most of the time it is not usable at all because "radar detection". I disabled
DFS channels and now it works again. Also this is very strange, since at my home I have a pure
Cisco Wi-Fi infrastructure with several AP and one controller running at 5 GHz and with DFS eneabled and since years it never failed.

I am very very disappointed.

Regards.

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: wAP ac LTE6 kit use report

Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:51 pm

Have you made sure the LTE modem uses latest Firmware?
In Terminal : interface / LTE / firmware-upgrade

vanille
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:56 pm

Have you made sure the LTE modem uses latest Firmware?
In Terminal : interface / LTE / firmware-upgrade
I was already running the latest version of the LTE modem firmware: version 27
Support provided to me the version 28, that is still not available in OTA mode.

As I wrote, version 028 fixes the the annoing LTE module sto stop working after a cell lock command is sent to the LTE modem

I described in the message.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:01 am

For me 028 should be public now.

And every person with LTE should can use that scripts to do a monitoring and recovery action when device became offline:

Watch LTE parameters: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=155945&p=821262#p821047
Simple watchdog: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=153622&hilit=watchdog#p767767
Advance watchdog: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=151492&hilit=watchdog#p768392