Community discussions

MikroTik App

kagbasiaerwireless
just joined
Topic Author

LHG 60G Wireless Pipeline Throughput Dopbs by Half

Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:21 am

Good-day Folks,

So I represent a small WISP working on two small deployments: one is a 17 Pole pipeline, and the other just about 10 Poles. Both deployments are using the PowerBox Pro to bridge the ethernet ports of the radios to form our data pipeline, as well as power them up.

Now, just yesterday we managed to finish setting everything up and we ran several speed tests using Fast.com - the results were horrifying:

• At the ingress point (10Gbps circuit from ISP), speed test results = ~980Mbps to 1.1Gbps (using a 1Gbps link)
  • At the first pole (i.e., the first PowerBox Pro - which has the first Slave antenna plugged into it), speed test results = ~950 to 990Mbps
  • At the second pole(i.e., the second PowerBox Pro - which has the second Slave antenna plugged into it), speed test results = ~400 to 450Mbps
  • At the last pole (i.e., 17th PowerBox Pro), speed test results = ~110 to 130 Mbps

Fortunately, we're seeing these results at both sites and is leading us to conclude that, somehow, throughput gets cut in half after the second pole, then settles around ~110 Mbps (which is almost like the throughput lose one would experience with a WiFi Repeater).

Has anybody run into this before?
Is this normal with the LHG 60G Wireless Wire Dish antennas?
Are we doing something wrong by serializing these antennas using the PowerBox Pro as a bridge?

Any comments of assistance is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Cablenut9
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: LHG 60G Wireless Pipeline Throughput Dopbs by Half

Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:35 am

Make sure all the antennas are using different frequencies because at the end of the line, the data has to go through all of them and there could be signal leakage. Also, make sure your MCS values are good enough to sustain a fast enough connection.

marekm

Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:49 pm

Not easy to use different frequencies with only 3-4 channels (depending on country regulations) available. Also depends on physical layout of the network - worst case if it's a straight line (radio waves don't stop at the first antenna, they are attenuated with distance but can still cause interference a few hops further away).

kagbasiaerwireless
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:11 pm

Thank you both for your combined responses.

Our layout is pretty much in a straight line. We're doing short hops; on average the poles are 300 to 500 feet apart. For the most part, I've left the channels set on auto but have been considering hard-coding and alternating them. Unfortunately, I don't know enough and haven't read enough yet on how to do this well. So I shied away from pursuing this technique after attempting it and realizing that some of the Slave nodes would not reconnect unless the master was on auto.

I'm in the USA by the way, and I've set the region parameter on each master antenna. I'm in the process of upgrading all the firmware now to the latest, so when I finish I will attempt to hard code alternating frequencies.

Is there any guidance on the order in which I should alternate the frequencies?