Community discussions

MikroTik App

wavespan
Topic Author

CAPsMAN VLAN Issue

Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:15 am

I followed this guide on setting up CAPsMAN with VLAN's https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:C ... VLANs#CAPs
Was pretty straight forward and after provisioning I saw the two VLAN's I created populated on the cap under /bridge/vlans as dynamic
and the dynamic wireless interfaces were there as tagged on those VLAN's. I could not get traffic passing until I manually created the
VLAN's and just added the ether1 interface as tagged for each VLAN. I did not need to add the wireless interfaces as they dynamically
added to the manually created VLANS.

Is this guide wrong or did something change since it was written?

I'm hoping to replace a UniFi install with over 200 AP's But having to
manually add VLANS to that many AP's is not exciting me. I like CAPsMAN being extremely flexible but allot of little things that UniFi
does makes deployment quicker. Like not having to setup a password on each AP manually and very simple adoption process. Seems
like Mikrotik could make CAPsMAN easier just by having a simpler adoption process not having to lock and unlock the manager using
certificates. My two cents I am sure someone will disagree!

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Re: CAPsMAN VLAN Issue  [SOLVED]

Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:37 am

Is this guide wrong or did something change since it was written?
On CAP devices there is generally no need for bridge vlan filtering. Disable bridge vlan filtering and delete the VLANs from bridge->VLANs tab, then all of the VLANs you have created will just work without needing configuration.

wavespan
Topic Author

Re: CAPsMAN VLAN Issue

Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:12 pm

Disabling VLAN filtering worked. Thank You!

elasticpancake
just joined

Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:32 am

I'm hoping to replace a UniFi install with over 200 AP's But having to
manually add VLANS to that many AP's is not exciting me. I like CAPsMAN being extremely flexible but allot of little things that UniFi
does makes deployment quicker. Like not having to setup a password on each AP manually and very simple adoption process. Seems
like Mikrotik could make CAPsMAN easier just by having a simpler adoption process not having to lock and unlock the manager using
certificates. My two cents I am sure someone will disagree!
Hello. This is a bit of OT, but I am curious why are you considering CapsMan to replace Ubiquity? I am currently using MIkroTik for my installations, but Ubiquity is preferred by many of my colleagues due to simpler setup and WiFi that performs better.

I am just putting up a WiFi network over CapsMan with 40+ APs, and considering Ubiquity due to many shortfalls of MikroTik WiFi devices used as access points. For example, their Cap AC is just a bad AP (bad transfer speeds on 5Ghz, even in a lab). Capsman does make it simple to add and configure APs, but compared to Ubiquity they do support relatively effortless roaming and offer algorithms that will dynamically optimize channels in changing conditions (like in Warehouse etc). From what I read they also support 800.11r, and Ubiquity supports WiFi 5 wave 2 properly (beam-forming / MIMO).

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by elasticpancake on Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:58 pm

caps-man would be superior to UniF--k in so many ways... if it could control better performing radios with proper drivers.

elasticpancake
just joined

Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:10 pm

caps-man would be superior to UniF--k in so many ways... if it could control better performing radios with proper drivers.
LOL

But why so much hate? I mean, I really like MikroTik, as it generally works, and is relatively cheap. However, it does have a lot of its issues, most of which I see in the WiFi department (access points). The software is just not that "smart" compared to others, and they are severely lacking in the technology department. I mean, it is routinely that new APs are ax now, and yet MT doesn't have a ac wave2 yet.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:49 am

LOL

But why so much hate? I mean, I really like MikroTik, as it generally works, and is relatively cheap. However, it does have a lot of its issues, most of which I see in the WiFi department (access points). The software is just not that "smart" compared to others, and they are severely lacking in the technology department. I mean, it is routinely that new APs are ax now, and yet MT doesn't have a ac wave2 yet.
Thousands of wasted hours.
Thousands of dollars in out of pocket replacement hardware.
Loss of some long term clients.
And for once we really came off as "not the experts".

It didn't help that it took Mikrotik several months to admit what the issue was.

elasticpancake
just joined

Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:10 am

Thousands of wasted hours.
Thousands of dollars in out of pocket replacement hardware.
Loss of some long term clients.
And for once we really came off as "not the experts".

It didn't help that it took Mikrotik several months to admit what the issue was.
Woah. This degraded rather quickly... I thought you are talking about Ubiquity? What happen, for God's sake?? Sounds like a tough shit.

It is kind of "funny" when I talk with my colleagues. They all praise MikroTik, but when it comes to on premises WiFi, they are laugh about it, and use Ubiquity, sometimes other stuff. I am personally just in the process of evaluating Cambium to see how will it compare, but I am a bit reluctant, because there is a huge price difference most probably won't want to pay.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:51 pm

Cambium's AC radios work about as well as UniF--k, but cost as much as Ruckus. The e600 was released about 2 years after it's announcement. Cambium has taken several years to correct issues found in their APs. (Issues that ruckus had fixed almost 10 years ago). Features of the APs didn't work, and kept up as "coming soon" for years. The CN pilot dashboard makes things unnecessarily complicated or impossible. Etc etc etc