Community discussions

MikroTik App

leksand
just joined
Topic Author

Wap ac as router

Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:38 am

Can I use Wap ac as a router without additional devices. In a private house after an optical transceiver (RJ45 output)?

5-10 clients are expected

https://mikrotik.com/product/wap_ac#fnd ... ifications

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Wap ac as router

Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:54 pm

Yes, wAP ac can be a very capable router (routing up to around 1 Gbps, depending on complexity of firewall filter rules). Beware though that current Mikrotik devices are not the fastest when it comes to wireless. If configured properly (sometimes some tweaking is needed, what exactly depends on particular environment), they perform decently and are very stable.

leksand
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:22 pm

private house, from two to five wireless devices, at the input of 100 Mbit.

10 clients in peak and rare.

no complicated routing. Distribution of Internet via NAT

in which mode you need to use the access point: wisp ap / home ap or you can use capsman? (in order to connect a second point in the future)

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:12 pm

CAPsMAN comes handy if you have many APs. I wouldn't deploy it for one or two APs (actually I am doing it at home ... purely as a lab setup). And it's certainly overkill to use it for provisioning wireless on very same device (it's possible to do it with some tinkering).

I'm not sure which Quick Set mode would be the one, probably "Home AP" is the closest one. Quite likely you'll have to adjust settings in "normal" mode (if using web browser, that would be "WebFig" mode) and once you do, never ever go back to Quick Set mode.