Community discussions

MikroTik App

AndreKR
Topic Author

60 GHz indoors?

Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:05 am

I'm having trouble with an indoor Wifi connection. Client and access point are mere 5 meters apart, albeit through two walls. I believe the link is so unstable because the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands are extremely crowded here, not just by WiFi but also by wireless speakers and such. (I looked at the spectrum with a WiSpy.)

I wonder if a 60 GHz link would be able to penetrate two walls at such short range? The product page mentions possible indoor use, but it also mentions being blocked by rain and windows (and I'm assuming they don't mean the OS), so I'm not sure.

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: 60 GHz indoors?

Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:13 am

60GHz will not work over any type of wall, it's easily blocked by any material.
Use indoors is limited to open space... things like long corridors or link across hall or stadium.

tapir

Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:21 pm

I've got some WAP60s that I might try indoors - I currently use them to bridge my home to some outbuildings. Performance is superb (~800Mbps TCP).
I bought some Audiences to use indoors (long narrow space) and they are frankly rubbish until such time as wifiwave2 supports bridging. I will have a couple of WAP60s unused whilst the electrics are refitted in the outside buildings.
Will try a WAP60 at each end of my house (clear LOS) and see if it's viable. I can then use my Audiences as APs and reap the wifiwave2 goodness.

Might be a terrible idea.. let's see.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:24 pm

I've got some WAP60s that I might try indoors - I currently use them to bridge my home to some outbuildings. Performance is superb (~800Mbps TCP).
I bought some Audiences to use indoors (long narrow space) and they are frankly rubbish until such time as wifiwave2 supports bridging. I will have a couple of WAP60s unused whilst the electrics are refitted in the outside buildings.
Will try a WAP60 at each end of my house (clear LOS) and see if it's viable. I can then use my Audiences as APs and reap the wifiwave2 goodness.

Might be a terrible idea.. let's see.
Likely terrible...

I have one Audience running right now.

Channel 1 2x2 @ 20 Mhz
Channel 36 2x2 @ 80 Mhz
Channel 149 4x4 @ 80 Mhz

If I had more than one???
Make the 2.4 6 or 11
Change my 36 @80 to 36 @40 and use 44 @40?
Follow suit on the High band too?

Without Caps-Man... I would likely just be better served by another manufacture.

Edit:
The damn thing crashed again.

Sent the support file off to support.

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:04 pm

The damn thing crashed again.
Audience running 7.2rc4 and wifiwave2 with lot of features and functions, I see no crashes in normal usage.
I do see crashes from time to time when doing config changes.

I use this wifiwave2 since 2-3 weeks (default setup, only country code set).
I can tell you, I won't use/buy any Wifi enabled device anymore that does not support wifiwave2.
It's a leap frog compared to previous performance, especially on high band 4x4 5Ghz.
I don't know if the 2x2 5Ghz improvement is that impressive as I use that interface in station mode connected
to a Chateau 5G to deliver internet back to the audience device.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:22 pm

WeWiNet
Before when the unit randomly rebooted, the unit drew too much power from the switch. That caused the switch to shut down the port.

But this time around I am using the Power Adapter from the WALL.

7.1.3 with the WAVE2 driver.
Only one VAP on the 2.4 radio.
All other radios have the same SSID and Pass.

As for not buying things without WAVE 2.
Welcome to 2017.

Wifi WAVE 2 has been available from Everyone ELSE since 2016. Mikrotik still has it "sort of working"... In 2022.

I have already gone through WiFi6 and manufactures are now brining out WiFi6E.

Mikrotik 2021... Introduces the cAP XL AC, wifi 5 v1 (kind of). This new top of the line cap has no upgrade path to WAVE2.

BitHaulers
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:53 am

"Audience running 7.2rc4 and wifiwave2 with lot of features and functions, I see no crashes in normal usage.
I do see crashes from time to time when doing config changes.

I use this wifiwave2 since 2-3 weeks (default setup, only country code set).
I can tell you, I won't use/buy any Wifi enabled device anymore that does not support wifiwave2.
It's a leap frog compared to previous performance, especially on high band 4x4 5Ghz.
I don't know if the 2x2 5Ghz improvement is that impressive as I use that interface in station mode connected
to a Chateau 5G to deliver internet back to the audience device."

How'd you config your station mode to get it to work? Manual routes?

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:46 pm

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:13 am

How'd you config your station mode to get it to work? Manual routes?
I use mangle rules/routing table for load balancing (My Audience has 3 WAN inputs, its own LTE, DSL via Ethernet port
and another over low band 5Ghz from a 5G Chateau device.).
But you can do it simply with DHCP client added to the wifi2 interface, check the "add default route" option etc.
And add wifi2 interface to the WAN interface list.

tapir

Mon May 30, 2022 7:21 pm

Been testing today... Either end of an open plan floor.
Audience in client/AP - 150Mb/s
Wifi60G - 800Mb/s

I've installed them just above head height. Even when one fell off the wall (I'd stuck them up with masking tape for the test) - speed fell to 750Mbps!

Going to install a pair of these and turn my Audiences over to WifiWave2 APs. Finally I'll have half reasonable network!