Community discussions

MikroTik App

fleg
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

The best simple way for multiSSID (guest) in Capsman

Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:18 am

I tried to make independet guest network in my ap managed by capsman and I falied.
Because:
- If AP is in capsman I can`t activate and set simple virtual AP (out of capsman).
- If I have static interface create via provisioning I`m able to make guest AP via add cap interface, but this ap is slave with his own master interface so I can`t set another IP network with own dhcp server (slave interface can`t has own dhcp). I have multiply SSID but with the same network range in this case.
- I tried the way to make it via slave configuration in caps provisioning but no Guest network was created

What`s the best and simple way to make guest network in capsman`s environment? I need only 1 guest network from one AP, so I don`t need to make it via capsman, but I think if is radio managed by capsman there is no way to make it without one.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: The best simple way for multiSSID (guest) in Capsman

Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:57 am

True guest network is more than additional SSID ... it needs additional LAN setup (VLAN for L2 separation, IP setup on that VLAN). CAPsMAN is only there to provision radio interfaces (with VLAN IDs if needed), the rest has to be done manually ... most of it on router, depending on particular scenario also on CAP devices (VLAN setup on AP's bridge).

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:44 pm

MKX is bang on (as usual).
I use capacs without capsman as setting up bridge/vlans and mutiple WLANS, (home, guest, media, iot) was challenging enough.
Each wlan has its own SSID, security profile, and vlan (except for home WLAN because its the same vlan for home wired etc.)

This is a video on how to use capsman, which doesnt help your question about vlans but may aid in your basic setup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taQ70m0DVYA

I am hoping for a follow on video which adds multiple WLANs as noted above (and vlans and not just SSIDs).

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:02 pm

In caps man...
Make two profiles.
Add the second profile to provisioning.
That will give you the 2 radios main+virtual
Then you have to make sure to have a network for the wireless to connect to

I don't use caps-forwarding as it makes caps-man even slower.

So I build a network on a VLAN and have the wifi set to local forwarding. Then I make sure the SSID is tagged to match the VLAN.