Community discussions

MikroTik App

Skychan
just joined
Topic Author

Buy AC3 or can I fix old RB951G-2HnD?

Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:30 am

I've had my RB951G-2HnD for at least 8+ years now. I stopped using it several months ago when I noticed most of my devices couldn't get internet speeds above 20mbps despite 100mbps ISP. The ISP provided wifi router can do almost the max speeds on most of my wifi devices just no where near the range as the Mikrotik.

I don't have a large home so I don't need APs, just one good router. I don't even feel like I need 5ghz cuz my internet speed can't make use of that and I don't transfer anything between devices on the network.

I guess dual band helps with peak loads if many devices are all on at the same time. I do have a lot of individual devices like Ring sensors and smart plugs. Maybe the # of users going beyond 20 or so started to make my old router go slow.

Or maybe it has had some kind of hardware failure?

Do you think I could fix it with OS reset? Or should I just buy an hap AC3?

Thanks!!

Rugx
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Buy AC3 or can I fix old RB951G-2HnD?

Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:13 am

Definitely try resetting before purchasing a new one. Check the throughput when only one user is connected, maybe some of the 20+ users are hogging the bandwidth. Also, check if your rOS version is up to date and if the wireless channel-width is set to 20/40Mhz, as well as, if both wireless chains are enabled.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:19 pm

Try 5GHz settings of
Band: 5ghz-n/ac
Channel Width: 20/40mhz-Ce

Very good question on replacement + router.
You could simply add an AUDIENCE wifi (access point) to the existing router, as the router you have does not need upgrading corrrect? Which may be the best answer.

In terms of all in one, my question would be is
the newer hapac3 (2 chains, newer chip, externals antennas) going to give better wifi results than the existing hapac ( 3 chains, older chip, internal antennas).

Out of the box I suspect the hapac probably does slightly better but when the hapac3 gets newer wifi firmware (not avail on any wifi older than ac3) I suspect the hapac3 will be a better performer.
bpwl could probably answer these musings more accurately.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:11 pm

Try 5GHz settings of

OP is currently using RB951G-2HnD ... when I last checked my own devices of same model, they didn't have 5GHz radio?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:51 pm

Try 5GHz settings of

OP is currently using RB951G-2HnD ... when I last checked my own devices of same model, they didn't have 5GHz radio?
Thanks MKX, I dont live in the dark ages LOL. DIdnt realize some people still practice blood letting for example.

In that case, go straight to the Audience for improved wifi that MT will support for the longest time compared to other products.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:23 am

Thanks MKX, I dont live in the dark ages LOL. DIdnt realize some people still practice blood letting for example.

In that case, go straight to the Audience for improved wifi that MT will support for the longest time compared to other products.
You have got to be kidding me.

I have an Audience. I use it when I am bored as a WIRED CAP.

IT SUCKS AS A RADIO.

Let me make that clear... Once you are spending nearly 200 US a WAP... You are looking at the wrong vendor.

A Eero 6Pro is about the same price and will stomp all over the Audience.

I hate Eero and avoid it like the plague. But in a residential install with one flat subnet...

Hook it to a Tik of your choice, that is doing the routing, and it will trounce any MIKROTIK wireless.

An audience has one in and one out.

If you need a wired network and dual WAN... This thing makes no sense.

hAP AC2 will get around 980M throughput form WAN to LAN and give you multiple ports. Plus save you like $100. (Make sure to shut off it's wifi.)