Community discussions

MikroTik App

michaeln
just joined
Topic Author

netmetal ac2 + LHG R combo

Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:05 pm

Hi all,
I am using a netmetal ac2 router with R11e-LTE6 modem and now we have a need to use higher gain LTE antenna. Therefore, I have purchased a LHG R where I plan to install the R11e modem instead of netmetal. Since netmetal has only one ethernet port, and we have a need to connect multiple ethernet devices to it (through a switch) and my question is:

Can I configure the LHG R to act as a router with DHCP server, connect it to a switch, configure the netmetal as an WiFi AP only (with no DHCP - so our clients can use wifi as well) and connect its only ethernet port to the switch to get the WAN IP from LHG R's DHCP ?

Pardon my confusing explanation, I am ready to answer or clarify any questions.

thank you for your help
Michael

Rugx
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: netmetal ac2 + LHG R combo

Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:59 pm

Hey,
Yes, on paper all of it seems to be relatively easily configurable.
LHGR has its LTE interface as the "main" one with Ip firewall Nat on it
LHGR Ether1 has dhcp-server for all the connecting further devices (Switch, Netmetal ac2, etc..)
Switch has almost all of its configuration removed. Just leave the ether interfaces within the same bridge for the devices to whom you will want to pass the dhcp addresses from the LHGR
NetMetal ac2 has its connecting ether interface and wireless interfaces under the same bridge, so that the wifi clients can acquire dhcp-addresses/internet

Take into consideration, that the speed most likely will not be great with R11e-LTE6 when compared to the capabilities of the NetMetal ac^2. I probably missed some crucial steps in the configuration process

Rugx
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: netmetal ac2 + LHG R combo

Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:56 pm

If you need any assistance with the manual configuration, let the forum know, if no one will be willing to reply/help, I'll give up some of my free time to post some /exports for you to paste onto your devices (Firewall rules will be taken from the default configuration, simply adjusted to your current setup) Just let me know the board names of all the involved devices. Hand drawn map of your vision setup would be much appreciated by the community