Community discussions

MikroTik App

Hominidae
Topic Author

LHGG-LTE6 kit...is it a piece of crap or do I need help in fine tuning

Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:31 am

Hi Folks,

I had to move my backup WAN on LTE to a new ISP (had to return their gear, which was non MT).
My own LHGG-LTE6 kit as new gear just arrived and is now sitting in my lab, for testing.

Basically I can connect to my ISP.
However the performance is with intermittent results....Download is way too slow.

Edit: Signal strength is reported as "unreliable", while Signal Quality is "good" to "Excellent". SNR is around 3-5 only.

I have identified "my cell" and associated band (B3), and have limited the Bands to only use this (without that, it will connect to a Port on B20 from the same tower, which is even slower).
According to my map, the cell should be good for 50+/8+ Mbps (which is also what my tariff is limited to).

Before the LTE6-kit arrived, I tested with a Huawei B818....even with its internal antennas, I received full 50/8 Mbps, no matter where I placed it in my home.
Now, with the LHGG, I get 12/8 Mbps only....at best.

Modem firmware is v25, but from what is known in the forum, I'd rather stay away from current v27
ROS is on latest stable.

So two questions arose:

- what's the best, default setup of the lte interface in general (Band limit, Cell-lock y/n, ...)?
- direction/mounting adjustments of the LHGG antenna (what to look for - SNR, RSSI, RSTP, ... and what tools to use ...used SNR from the cell info of the lte interface so far ( btw a "scan" reveals nothing, is always empty, at least never showing my provider i am already connected to)

...I still fail to believe that the LHGG performance is way below a "crappy" Huawei, with internal omni-antennas only. I live in a rural area, where only this tower and cell is available...approx 3km away.

etm7469
just joined

Re: LHGG-LTE6 kit...is it a piece of crap or do I need help in fine tuning

Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:26 pm

Hello.
I have the same. RBM33 + R11LTE6.
I only choose LTE and b3 + b20 and only have 10-15M / s. On the same antennas, the B525 gets from 60-70M. On the RBM33, the CA turns on, but it sucks at speed. Ros stable firmware 0.27. I took the mikrotik off and the old B525 works for me. The hands drop at that mikrotik speed.

Hominidae
Topic Author

Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:09 pm

Thanks...I see.
I just moved the device from my lab to upstairs in my attic.....after fiddling with the MT-App, checking the SNR, I am now on 25/25....where the Huawei was on max 50/25 (which is the cap for my tariff).

When I do a speedtest,UL start around 4-7 and then CA kicks in and the tests ends at 25/25.
If I enable B20 as well, I am stuck on the 800MHz/10MHz link...B3 is 1800/20MHz and will never gets used if not forced.
The Huawei did use the B3 band right away.

I am not too disappointed, as with my old ISP and tariff I had 7.2/5 ;-)
But hey, I still wonder why MT can not get on par with a huawei, which is a couple of years old and they have just put out that LHGG kit, here.

Hominidae
Topic Author

Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:33 pm

When I do a speedtest,UL start around 4-7 and then CA kicks in and the tests ends at 25/25.
If I enable B20 as well, I am stuck on the 800MHz/10MHz link...B3 is 1800/20MHz and will never gets used if not forced.
The Huawei did use the B3 band right away.
...ugh, I enabled B3 and B20 again...and now got a speedtest with 48/20 :shock: :o
Only thing I see is, that CA still only is on B3, but primary is now the 10MHz phys-cellid and CA the 20MHz one....

that is actually well in the range of what I can expect here in my cell...anyone knows how to make that stable (if this is of any relevance at all).