Community discussions

MikroTik App

hytanium
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

3 + 5.8 Backhauls centralized tower

Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:05 am

This may be an extremely Dumb question, but I need to ask as I have little experience with Backahaul's. :?

I use 5.8Ghz with XR5's for backhaul (bh). From my Main tower, I have 2 sites that I bh to and I am adding a 3rd.

1st site is set to 5760 tubo and second is 5800 turbo. I use 2ft parabolic dishes with Radomes. The first bh is pointed west, the second bh is south-west and now the 3rd is south. I am running HPOL on all. Can I run the 3rd at 5800 or will this cause speed issues with the other BH. Noise floor readings if I set both to 5800 is approx . -100.

Any words of wisdom are appreciated! :)

Giepie

Re: 3 + 5.8 Backhauls centralized tower

Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:03 am

Hi there

I don't think this is a simples yes or no question. I have spoken to several RF engineers, and from what I can see you either have to know almost everything about RF to answer your question, or play around till you find a decent setting. I have also heard that in certain cases interference can boost your signal, and in other cases kill it. Running more than one radio on the same channel causes interference, being good or bad. (sounds silly, but this is how I understand what I've been told)

My advice is to simply run the MT built-in FREQ USAGE function. This will show you activity in each frequency mode. I usually use the frequency which has fairly little traffic, but also run most stable. Sometimes you find very quiet bands, but they spike up and down all the time.

Just my bit...

JR
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:19 pm

why not use vpol on the 2nd 5800?

hytanium
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:21 am

I plan too. Thank-you for the suggestion.