Community discussions

MikroTik App

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Is there a way I can use eSIM with Mikrotik?

Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:16 am

For my home internet I use the SXT Lte6. Since moving to this our internet has been awesome. Having the modem and antenna together really makes it work really well. The big down side is having to climb on the roof and balance there trying to insert this tiny sim through the opening that is way too small. Is there an option to use an eSIM with this or other Mikrotik devices?

tapir

Re: Is there a way I can use eSIM with Mikrotik?

Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:15 am

Maybe I miss something, but why do you need to access the device more than once? I’ve set up a number of these for a local rural community - they’ve all been running on a data plan on the same SIM for 2 years (apart from one where the SIM died for some reason).

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:33 am

eSIM is not something you "use with a device", it is something that is "built into a device".
So you would need to wait for a Mikrotik device "that has eSIM" to be announced and you would need to replace your current SXT or at least the LTE modem board.
(I don't think it is easily replaced in the SXT as it is in some other MikroTik LTE routers)

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:23 pm

Maybe I miss something, but why do you need to access the device more than once? I’ve set up a number of these for a local rural community - they’ve all been running on a data plan on the same SIM for 2 years (apart from one where the SIM died for some reason).
Various reasons. I have a sim from work that I might like to use occasionally, it has less data but is a more reliable network. I also have a mikrotik at a remote property that I like to use with deals I got on sims. Also when I'm at that remote property it would be handy to be able to put my work sim in while I'm there.

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:28 pm

eSIM is not something you "use with a device", it is something that is "built into a device".
So you would need to wait for a Mikrotik device "that has eSIM" to be announced and you would need to replace your current SXT or at least the LTE modem board.
(I don't think it is easily replaced in the SXT as it is in some other MikroTik LTE routers)
Which is why I wrote "or other mikrotik device". I thought I read of an "eSIM in a SIM" which was basically a SIM card that could be programmed over the air. Not sure if it was a single provider or I was just misunderstanding their website. It was a bit vague. But that is why I am asking the question.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:46 pm

Any SIM card (including eSIM) is pretty much hard coded from factory. It is manufactured for a particular MNO - IMSI (that's SIM's serial number) includes MCC (Mobile Country Code) and MNC (Mobile Network Code). With eSIM that's different, IMSI includes manufacturer's identity, but then MNO needs to enter that particular IMSI in their subscriber database. SIM card includes also other things, such as set of encryption and identity identifiers, algorithms etc., which makes it possible for device having SIM to communicate with MNO's core network. Those settings are usually MNO's trade secret (if they were not, it would be easy to construct a fake network making user believe they're connected to legitimate network). So it's not really possible to change (e)SIM card settings OTA.

Meaning that if device includes eSIM, one doesn't need a physical SIM card in order to provision device into some mobile network (if MNO accepts eSIMs, I guess all of them do since Apple started to use eSIM quite a while ago). But that doesn't mean that subscriber can change IMSI to change to another subscription plan or to another MNO just like that. Actually to change plan or operator, it's much easier to use traditional SIMs. In cotext of eSIM OTA means that it is possible to change network operator without changing SIM card ... but that's only possible because most (if not all) operators agreed to accept eSIM producer's set of SIM settings and they need to provision particular eSIM in their subscribers database. Which is essentially the same process as when MNO receives a batch of traditional SIM cards ... they are useless until they are provisioned in MNOs databases.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:50 pm

I thought I read of an "eSIM in a SIM" which was basically a SIM card that could be programmed over the air. Not sure if it was a single provider or I was just misunderstanding their website. It was a bit vague. But that is why I am asking the question.
I think it is a different thing. Look at what mkx already wrote, but in addition I can tell: we recently bought a number of Dell laptops with 4G and they came with a generic SIM card in the slot that according to Dell could be registered at any provider. But our provider (T-Mobile NL) could not use them, we had to insert the usual SIM cards we receive from them. However, they do support eSIM.
So apparently there are different things around, not all the same solution.

And, it probably is not a solution for your problem anyway. I think there are other models with 2 or even 3 SIM slots, maybe that is more useful.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:29 am

Which is why I wrote "or other mikrotik device". I thought I read of an "eSIM in a SIM" which was basically a SIM card that could be programmed over the air. Not sure if it was a single provider or I was just misunderstanding their website. It was a bit vague. But that is why I am asking the question.
Was it this one ? https://en.comgate.io/esim/

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:06 am

Yeah that was it

"The eSIM is available in different formats, namely: the embedded version, but also as a regular 3-in-1 plastic sim shape (ejectable nano, micro and normal)"

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:09 am

And, it probably is not a solution for your problem anyway. I think there are other models with 2 or even 3 SIM slots, maybe that is more useful.
Yeah, you're likely right as it's likely not going to be that easy to switch back and forward. My device has 2 SIM slots and you can switch in software but I need the other SIM to travel with me also.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:52 am

Would you like to exchange this profile for another profile available in the market. Let us know. We have a Core network, which means that data session handling is not done by local operators, but is directly available in our IoT Portal.

So basically when using their eSIM you're their subscriber. What you perform OTA is changing how your device performs roaming ... almost all operators perform "steering of roaming" where they try to steer subscriber to use particular MNO when not in home network (e.g. operator belonging to same international group).

I guess.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:54 am

Yes, we want to combine the multi-SIM-router (with antenna cable and external directional antenna) , with the benefits of the "no-antenna-cable-attenuation" outdoor modem, without the need to climb on the roof to switch SIM cards.

Having 4 SXT LTE kit on the roof, still has to send somebody on the roof. Aggregated monthly data need is 4 TB. Can handle 2.4 TB right now, with many SIM cards plugged in, the need to switch operators as they have regular down time, and costly yearly subscriptions when the high volume need is only 3 months. (And many carry EU roaming SIM cards in their pockets that have a free 30 GB monthly allowance).

A multi SIM card 4G modem comes close. But still dream of a solution like this https://www.glocalme.com/BE/en-US/simbox/poster , where it probably only is designed for smartphones !???

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:04 pm

Yeah that was it

"The eSIM is available in different formats, namely: the embedded version, but also as a regular 3-in-1 plastic sim shape (ejectable nano, micro and normal)"
I think there is potential for some confusion, reading that article it appears that this company uses the name eSIM for something else.
Or maybe I do not fully understand the eSIM concept?

There have been earlier "special SIMs" that provide functionality like switching between providers in the same country, roaming all over the world, etc.
But they were just standard SIMs released by some MNO that had lots of roaming contracts. They are offered for better coverage in difficult situations.
What I think is an eSIM is something different: a SIM that is not from a specific MNO but can be adopted by the MNO of your choice using some over-the-air message.
So it does not have any permanent connectivity when you buy it, as that comgate.io SIM appears to have. It is only prepared to receive its activation message.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:37 pm

Indeed eSIM as normally referred to is nothing like Comgate's offering. For one, the whole point of using eSIM is that it's physically embedded into device (to save considerable amount of space inside device), the "OTA provisioning" is actually side effect (it's not possible to make it work otherwise).

frank333

Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:02 pm

it would be interesting to have an eSIM, here in my country it is possible to request it but the problem is to pass it to the modem, as the certificate is provided via a qrcode and a smartphone app

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:42 pm

QR code can contain almost anything, from simple text, URL, to a complex data structure ... in theory one could read contents of QR code using some generic QR reader and then type it to Mikrotik's UI.

My personal guess, though, is that frequently changing MNO of broadband interface of a CPE (where use of eSIM would be sensible thing) is a niche use and I would not be surprised if MT (along with other vendors of similar gear) would skip it.

frank333

Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:49 pm

I assure you instead that we use an LTE connection is very important, because it would allow the transition to a backup eSIM or choose the cheapest plan. I have a quectel modem that can hold several eSIMs but I can not extract the certificate insertion seems easy because you can also use a command AT.
https://forums.quectel.com/uploads/shor ... y3N0rq.pdf

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:12 pm

I'm not saying that for users like yourself easy provision of different MNOs/plans/whatever is not important, I can very well imagine it's highly important sometimes. I'm just saying that users like you are a tiny minority of all users and as such possibly commercially not important to equipment vendors.

And I'm not saying MT should not introduce some eSIM models, I'm just commenting on probability of this happening, that's all. I think that transition to all-eSIM would make unhappy many more users than it would make happy. All that while having double number of device models is driving manufacturing costs higher which would make all users unhappy.

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:12 am

I'm not saying that for users like yourself easy provision of different MNOs/plans/whatever is not important, I can very well imagine it's highly important sometimes. I'm just saying that users like you are a tiny minority of all users and as such possibly commercially not important to equipment vendors.

And I'm not saying MT should not introduce some eSIM models, I'm just commenting on probability of this happening, that's all. I think that transition to all-eSIM would make unhappy many more users than it would make happy. All that while having double number of device models is driving manufacturing costs higher which would make all users unhappy.
I just thought of a possible solution. Surely the sim card has some sort of serial interface that is pretty low speed. All we need is a way to send that serial data over ethernet and have a device inside the home that can take a sim card. Basically just build a device that plugs into the network and the mikrotik on the roof can read whatever information it reads from the sim card from the remote device instead. If they can build their own protocols like mesh and EoIP then surely they can manage a slow serial connection over ethernet. And the great thing from Mikrotik POV is only the users who want it pay for it. This would be the best of both worlds and would be an industry leading feature.

BTW, I disagree with your statement that it's a tiny proportion of customers, I imagine a good percentage of customers would need to climb on their roof at some point. I was up there just 2 days ago when one provider was doing tower maintenance and I need to get up there again to get the sim back. Every time I get up there there is a risk of falling so this would be a very significant feature for me.

frank333

Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:51 am

....BTW, I disagree with your statement that it's a tiny proportion of customers, I imagine a good percentage of customers would need to climb on their roof at some point. I was up there just 2 days ago when one provider was doing tower maintenance and I need to get up there again to get the sim back. Every time I get up there there is a risk of falling so this would be a very significant feature for me.
I agree with what you said and with the way to solve the problem, not like mkx's which is just sterile controversy as always.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:40 pm

I just thought of a possible solution.

You're late. https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=sim+bank Not sure if prices are compatible with Mikrotik's prices.

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:10 pm

I just thought of a possible solution.

You're late. https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=sim+bank Not sure if prices are compatible with Mikrotik's prices.
Frank was right.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:43 pm

not like mkx's which is just sterile controversy as always.

You have right to have your own opinion about my posts, if you find them like that, you're free to ignore them. I'm just trying to give out as realistic and concrete posts as possible. There are some ideas floating around that simply fail to pass the reality check, that's all (and that's my own opinion).

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:01 pm

not like mkx's which is just sterile controversy as always.

You have right to have your own opinion about my posts, if you find them like that, you're free to ignore them. I'm just trying to give out as realistic and concrete posts as possible. There are some ideas floating around that simply fail to pass the reality check, that's all (and that's my own opinion).
You're one of those people who seem to think people can't come to their own conclusion without your valuable input. It's quite reasonable for people to throw ideas around, it doesn't mean we think they are amazing ideas or that we can't see the flaws in them. As an example, I was well aware right from the start that eSIM was likely not the ideal solution but it has lead to other conversation that could potentially be valuable. You've typed a lot but really the one and only thing you've added to this conversation was the link to the sim bank. Unfortunately you had to do it in a sarcastic way.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:56 pm

Point taken.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:33 pm

MikroTik as "LTE routers vendor" start with Quectel as LTE SoC vendor what is first good step in this MikroTik LTE word.
I think the final eSIM implementation will be like this:
  • ISP/MNO give us a QR instead of SIM.
  • We can scan that QR in MikroTik app to register it with connected LTE unit
  • Switch between registered MNO we will do by WinBox > Interface > LTE > new eSIM Button
but to this work our MNO must start sell us a QR instead of SIM card.

In reality we will scan QR to numer format and use all that process in AT Commands, in scripts etc. But this is future.
Curently I found a list of ISP with e-SIM at: https://support.apple.com/HT209096
I just buy one that service from Poland\Orange and try use it with my some Quectel modules - if I end with success then I put new HowTo at forum.

BTW, about not eSIM
PS1. Remember that SXTR/LtAPmini etc. have 2x SIM slot and we can change them as simple FailOver way.
PS2. Remember that some RB have GPIO and we can use some features like switching physical SIM card by scripts, with some Multi-Sim devices

bourneagainsh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:58 am

For me the best way to use MFF2/eSIM/eUICC (embedded SIM | Embedded Universal Integrated Circuit Card) would be via
CLI

So for example on Android we can do it via QR code or via Activation code (as per manual here at EE)
https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/getting- ... or-samsung

/lte esim add 0 "LPA:1$ee.pr.go-esim.com$ABCDEF1234567890ABCDEF1234567890$$"

:)

There could be a option to load the PNG QR code as well via Web Interface...

frank333

Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:41 am

LPA:1$ee.pr.go-esim.com$ would be the provider?
do you find the activation code on the paper sheet provided by the provider ; or did you extract the code from the qrcode ?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:48 am

Just click on the link and read the page!

frank333

Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:53 am

Just click on the link and read the page!
pe1chi :)
I read the page and it seems obvious that the provider provides the numeric code.
I asked further, because in my case no numeric code is provided but only an encrypted qrcode readable only by a special app.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:30 pm

So when you read that QR code using a standard QR scanner that displays the result, it does not show that LPA:.... line?
Of course there is encrypted rubbish between the $ and $$ sign.

frank333

Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:46 pm

Exactly, and also on some smartphones the qrcode is not read at all by the normal application of the operating system. L 'app provider then reads in an encrypted way the qrcode sends the chip esim only one or two times and in case of failure or change smartphone must repurchase a new qrcode.

bourneagainsh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:03 pm

LPA:1$ee.pr.go-esim.com$ would be the provider?
do you find the activation code on the paper sheet provided by the provider ; or did you extract the code from the qrcode ?
Try free eSIM from Ubigi:
https://www.ubigi.com/

So the command for Ubigi is the following:
LPA:1$trl.prod.ondemandconnectivity.com$A1ABC1A0ABC7ABCDE

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:40 pm

For me the best way to use MFF2/eSIM/eUICC (embedded SIM | Embedded Universal Integrated Circuit Card) would be via CLI
[...]
/lte esim add 0 "LPA:1$ee.pr.go-esim.com$ABCDEF1234567890ABCDEF1234567890$$"

There could be a option to load the PNG QR code as well via Web Interface...
Totally agree. But the first step is Mikrotik needs to use newer modem modules that support eSIM/eUICC/etc (e.g. many 5G-ready modems). So if the modem module support them (and the modem was listed in carrier's database), any CLI interface is essentially be a wrapper for a "at-chat" command that provides the activation code to the LTE modem module. But it's the modem module that needs to be able to store/activate the eSIM internally that critical. Since Mikrotik's current modem modules have no support for eSIM, not much can be done with an activation code from RouterOS CLI or otherwise today.

Right now you can easily get eSIM for the major carriers in the US. My iPhone has had an eSIM to enable dual carrier for a long while. So I think it's fair to say eSIMs are widely supported, at least in US. But then again so is Wi-Fi 6, which Mikrotik doesn't have. So may be a while for eSIMs. But do agree eSIMs be useful to avoid needing multiple physical SIM slots in a Mikrotik OR avoiding hassle of managing/swapping physical SIMs. e.g. since not all Mikrotik LTE devices support multiple SIMs, but in theory any Mikrotik device could support multiple eSIMs, with right modem module.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:52 pm

Right now you can easily get eSIM for the major carriers in the US. My iPhone has had an eSIM to enable dual carrier for a long while. So I think it's fair to say eSIMs are widely supported, at least in US. But then again so is Wi-Fi 6, which Mikrotik doesn't have. So may be a while for eSIMs. But do agree eSIMs be useful to avoid needing multiple physical SIM slots in a Mikrotik OR avoiding hassle of managing/swapping physical SIMs. e.g. since not all Mikrotik LTE devices support multiple SIMs, but in theory any Mikrotik device could support multiple eSIMs, with right modem module.
Again it seems we are wandering off the path of "use eSIM with MikroTik" onto the issues of having multiple carriers, either natively or by roaming. Concepts not related to eSIM I think.
Sure it is nice when you can have multiple eSIMs, but right now we cannot even have a single one.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:41 pm

Again it seems we are wandering off the path of "use eSIM with MikroTik" onto the issues of having multiple carriers, either natively or by roaming. Concepts not related to eSIM I think.
Not really. Unless I'm missing something, you can't use an eSIM today with a Mikrotik. It's just not possible, so I took this as a feature request thread. It's still a function of the module modules. So potential RouterOS syntax for a missing feature seems like putting the cart before the horse. The currently offered R11e LTE hardware simply can't support eSIMs.

So let's just chalk this up to a +1 for eSIMs. To me critical benefit of eSIM is that can "save" multiple eSIMs, to then be able to select ONE to be active. Even my iPhone only uses one SIM at a time – and that's be fine. If you really only use one carrier, in a fixed your location, then eSIM doesn't offer that much for you IMO.

So mainly just highlight the potential use cases for future support from Mikrotik here.

If the question here is: "Is there a way I can use eSIM with Mikrotik?" the answer is "not with Mikrotik modems". Perhaps with right third party modem with eUICC, it might be able to do this using AT commands to load the activation codes... but there are externalities in eSIM support (e.g. carrier knowing about the IMEI of the device that going to have the eSIM, among others) that likely get in the way... so it's not feasible for a "normal user" to do anything about adding eSIM support.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:54 pm

Well, at least due to the fact that the LTE modems in MikroTik devices come as a mini PCIe card leaves the possibility that a new card is released that supports eSIM and that can be either replaced in current devices or offered in new devices "with eSIM support".
Then, of course, it would be best when there is some support in RouterOS as well so one would not have to fiddle with AT commands.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:14 pm

Well, at least due to the fact that the LTE modems in MikroTik devices come as a mini PCIe card leaves the possibility that a new card is released that supports eSIM and that can be either replaced in current devices or offered in new devices "with eSIM support".
Then, of course, it would be best when there is some support in RouterOS as well so one would not have to fiddle with AT commands.
Yup, with new modem modules, the situation changes :). I'm sure they could add CLI (and/or in QR code reader in their app) pretty easily, but they'd need to release some new LTE hardware first. I mention AT commands only highlight that modem is in charge when comes to eSIMs, not RouterOS. But in reality, all the eSIM/eUICC can be controlled by MBIM, which Mikrotik supports in V7 so there is a possible pathway here. Not sure when...

Now any newer modem modules from Mikrotik will likely NOT work in older SXT, etc. since they'll almost certainly be M.2 form factor ones, not miniPCIe (but we'll see what happens in future).

bourneagainsh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:23 pm

Has actually anyone tried replacing the "default LTE/NR" modem/module for one that supports eSIM in any of the Mikrotik devices?

By now there must be plenty available?

Or it's not as easy? (Yes, I understand that until supported by MT/RouterOS it may be AT commands to use it/activated it,
but I be interested to hear from anyone who has done it, if at all .......

Acryli

Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:33 pm

Hi,

I just realized that recent Quectel modems like EM120/EM160R and some 5G model already have a eSIM chip soldered on the module.
https://forums.quectel.com/t/em160-esim ... de/10134/6

I understand that Mikrotik still doesn't support it natively over command line or GUI.
Nevertheless it seems possible to configure it over AT-commands.

Let's take this QR code posted on the Quectel forum, as example:

If you read it you will see this string: LPA:1$dptest.linksfield.net$C0C3D-2BH7J-0VMF8-RY2VS
Which is actually this:
LPA:1 -> the registration protocol
dptest.linksfield.net -> registration server
C0C3D-2BH7J-0VMF8-RY2VS -> activation key

Now I have a question.
If you add this eSIM profile to your smartphone, you need to have your phone connected to the internet over Wifi, in order to allow the provisioning of the eSIM.
How can this work on a Routerboard without internet connectivity???
Is an empty eSIM allowed to connect to the 4G network only to do the provisioning ?

Thank you

Now any newer modem modules from Mikrotik will likely NOT work in older SXT, etc. since they'll almost certainly be M.2 form factor ones, not miniPCIe (but we'll see what happens in future).

You still can use a simple miniPCIe to M.2 (wwan) adapter.
https://i.imgur.com/Mi9Bgkf.jpg

EDIT:
Yes, only specific M2M eSIMs have a preloaded connection profile on them to have access to internet to do the provisioning of the eSIM.
So, the Quectel 4G needs to have internet connectivity ITSELF to do the provisioning, its eSIM can't allow it. In other words, you will probably need a physical SIM in order to give the 4G module internet connectivity, and then you can switch to the eSIM profile after provisioning.

So, it should work!
We only need to find out which AT-commands are required and in which sequence.

EDIT2:
It should look like this, no???

AT+QESIM=“lpa_enable”,1
AT+QESIM=“def_svr_addr”, dptest.linksfield.net
AT+QESIM=“add_profile”, C0C3D-2BH7J-0VMF8-RY2VS

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:06 pm

I just realized that recent Quectel modems like EM120/EM160R and some 5G model already have a eSIM chip soldered on the module.
https://forums.quectel.com/t/em160-esim ... de/10134/6
[...]
We only need to find out which AT-commands are required and in which sequence.
EDIT2:
It should look like this, no???

AT+QESIM=“lpa_enable”,1
AT+QESIM=“def_svr_addr”, dptest.linksfield.net
AT+QESIM=“add_profile”, C0C3D-2BH7J-0VMF8-RY2VS

I'd be curious if you get this work. I've seen similar commands on the Telit under "AT#ESIMxxx", but never tried them since this whole eSIM topic is complex stuff where EVERYTHING has to align module/carrier/DP-SM/eSIM/AT/Mikrotik/etc/etc/etc... for it work.

Found a Quectel "eSIM PowerPoint" which a LOT more clues, at least for Quectels –
https://forums.quectel.com/uploads/shor ... y3N0rq.pdf

But the AT+QESIM aren't in any Quectel AT reference, which makes even trying them pretty hard. Although I'd imagine you START with
AT+QESIM=“lpa_enable”,1
AT+QESIM=“add_profile”,something...
then more on the ones for the eSIM data from decoded from the QR code...

Based on the "Quectel eSIM PowerPoint", seem you'd want to use a real SIM card to get internet to the modem first. But even that may not work, since the "LTE data session" is going to the Mikrotik – so maybe more AT command to have the modem module itself open any data connection to the SM-DP. Anyway, an AT manual with the AT+QESIM documented is what's missing to event START trying anything.

Basically I'm not sure you can guess the right AT command from a PowerPoint. If you have the docs/AT manual for your specific module, then you might stand a better chance here.

What what I found interesting in the eSIM PowerPoint linked, was this diagram:

So, seemingly, eSIM/eUICC support is in Quectel's MBIM implementation. Which is what I was getting at when I said:
But in reality, all the eSIM/eUICC can be controlled by MBIM, which Mikrotik supports in V7 so there is a possible pathway here. Not sure when...
If Mikrotik's MBIM support INCLUDED the eSIM parts, then any modem with MBIM (with the eSIM part of MBIM spec supported too) could work. This would be preferable to a module/carrier/eSIM specific "AT magic-spell".

Now curious if someone CAN make the "eSIM AT method" work – if eSIM is "just a few" /interface/lte/at-chat on even one 5G LTE module – that would be pretty nifty.

bourneagainsh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:31 pm

Another solution for those that need to regularly swap SIM cards could come from esim.me :)

esim.me it's classic SIM card that has embedded space for up to 15 eSIM profiles :)

At the moment managing/activating the SIM cards is done via an app on a mobile phone,
but maybe they (esim.me) will be open to help with AT commands on how to manged this process from CLI ......
and save people climbing up the roof and trying to fiddle with the SIM cards there ;)

Only downside of eSIM is that it needs "Internet" connection in order to load/unload the profile from eSIM module .....
and it's pain in the back when it does not unload correctly as this means going to MNO/MVNO and requesting new eSIM profile :(

Interesting articles about an eSIM

4 ways to activate eSIM-capable consumer IoT devices (2022)
https://www.thalesgroup.com/en/markets/ ... tion-modes

-eSIM simplified: a guide to consumer eSIM-ready device activation | Blog series (1/3)
https://dis-blog.thalesgroup.com/mobile ... ot-device/

-eSIM simplified: a guide to consumer eSIM-ready IoT device activation via QR codes | Blog series (2/3)
https://dis-blog.thalesgroup.com/mobile ... explained/

-eSIM simplified: a quick guide to consumer eSIM-ready IoT device activation | Default SM-DP+ address & Root Discovery Service | Blog series (3/3)
https://dis-blog.thalesgroup.com/mobile ... scription/

krzcho
just joined

Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:03 pm

FWIW: I got HP Elitebook with Intel XMM 7360 LTE-A modem. It has a SIM card which seems to be eSIM data holder. I have activated T-Mobile data plan on it using Windows and this eSIM is working fine after moving it to my fresh Mikrotik SXT LTE6.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:03 pm

Again, that is just using the name eSIM (which used to mean "embedded SIM") for something else.