Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

abc123
Topic Author

anybody with wireless bonded links ?

Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:19 pm

anybody got wireless bonding working properly? We tried and we had many application problems - video/audio streaming broke, IM broke, performance was very fluctuating and not stable (check wiki with Eugene's example : bandwidth test running for 30min46sec and there is 166Mbit/s TX average but ONLY 68Mbit/s RX average with 141Mbit/s RX current = highly unstable throughput because when you have 141Mbit this second, you have to have less than 10Mbit [!!!!!] next second in order to get 68MBit average), packet reordering caused major performance drop and I could go on and on. We have two wireless lines, both with almost exactly the same capacity and latencies so we didn't expect too much issues there - we were just plain wrong. After fighting with this for one week, we have given up. We tried eoip and nth mangling.

anybody with LONG-TERM wireless bonding experience? I don't expect too much replies here, I feel it's not possible to do it 100% properly.

abc123
Topic Author

Re: anybody with wireless bonded links ?

Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:21 pm

exactly as expected - no replies.

Okej, for me wireless bonding is closed thema ; never got it to work properly, not found anything about it on internet thus it's probably impossible at all. I was hoping for "cheap" fiber-like throughput, but there's nothing like a free lunch in this world.

GWISA-Kroonstad
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:31 pm

In few weeks will try a new setup. Two RBs (A & B) connected by lan to a single RB (C). A & B Have wireless-lan bridges, C only lan. C will do lan bonding for A & B. Same setup on remote side. It is more likely that Wireless cards fail than lan ports on RBs. So, this way, if a wlan card fails, and the RB hangs, then there is still the other fo backup. Netwatch will be set on RBs A & B to disable the lan in case the wlan link drops. That way, C will regognize a drop in link, and switch from load balancing to backup mode. Will inform once ready.

boardman
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:09 pm

In few weeks will try a new setup. Two RBs (A & B) connected by lan to a single RB (C). A & B Have wireless-lan bridges, C only lan. C will do lan bonding for A & B. Same setup on remote side. It is more likely that Wireless cards fail than lan ports on RBs. So, this way, if a wlan card fails, and the RB hangs, then there is still the other fo backup. Netwatch will be set on RBs A & B to disable the lan in case the wlan link drops. That way, C will regognize a drop in link, and switch from load balancing to backup mode. Will inform once ready.

Hi we are planning to try out this exact same scenario, please read http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17942
so kindly keep us posted of your results.

Best

Jorge

GWISA-Kroonstad
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:28 pm

so kindly keep us posted of your results.
Sure thing. Will do.

jorj

Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:35 pm

Did you do it ?

( and if you connect two rb to another rb, doesn't this introduce again a single point of failure ? )