Community discussions

MikroTik App

solarium14
Topic Author

Is there a way to force/encourage clients to use 5GHz if 2.5GHz gets crowded?

Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:38 pm

I've been wondering whether these is a feature like this available in cAP ac's. I've seen similar features in APs from different manufacturers.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Is there a way to force/encourage clients to use 5GHz if 2.5GHz gets crowded?

Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:44 pm

Decrease TX power of 2,4GHz, and cross the fingers because all are depending on software used on smartphone.

mixig

Re: Is there a way to force/encourage clients to use 5GHz if 2.5GHz gets crowded?

Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:32 pm

And one day maybe with band steering (ros v7?)

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:36 pm

I do not know if is added or not on future :(

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:04 am

@solarium14

How do you measure thet 2.4GHz "gets crowded"? Number of devices? Traffic? Signal quality?

You can write a script which counts devices connected to 2.4 bands and then change ACL to drop block new connections or drop all these with quality below limits to "persuade" them to reconnect to better quality band.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:48 am

@solarium14

How do you measure thet 2.4GHz "gets crowded"? Number of devices? Traffic? Signal quality?

You can write a script which counts devices connected to 2.4 bands and then change ACL to drop block new connections or drop all these with quality below limits to "persuade" them to reconnect to better quality band.
I have the impression that the missing information in MT does not allow to estimate if it is getting crowded or not. Other brands clearly use this info for AP and band steering. The client decides (as always in wifi) but is given (QBSS load element) some information to help in that decision. With MT I did not find this in the beacon. But even within ROS I did not find that information, unless stopping the AP and doing "Freq Usage" scan. The process of CCA (clear channel assessment) happens before every transmit, so ROS could know, but that information is not at our disposal AFAIK.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=174961&hilit=qbss#p863704

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:28 pm

I used to disable 2.4 for a few seconds every 30 minutes.

Dual band devices would see that 5Ghz was available and usually jump.

An idea I played with, was trying to make an ACL based on radios that had connected to 5Ghz. This was the overly simple stupid version of what the Ruckus ZD used to do (well one of the things). It would occasionally boot these units off the 2.4radio, if on one.

Then they made radios generate fake Mac addresses... And I gave up on that.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:06 pm

Just wondering .... could something be done with "Interworking Profiles" , to inform clients that they are not welcome at a certain busy point in time ?

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... g_Profiles

Never tried that one ... .

Klembord-2.jpg
Might need some faking and abusing Hotspot 2.0 features, and needs compatible devices :-( .
https://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/ ... 849522.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bpwl on Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ivicask

Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:22 pm

@solarium14

Why script it, wlan interface has Max station Count option so you can limit number of devices there, other vendors do this by default as i saw on some (Aruba for ex)

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:32 pm

Yes you can restrict the number of clients. But it is for me by no means a measure for the load on that AP. 100 clients that are quiet give almost no load (happens more these days than some time ago with smartphones, smartwatches etc). 1 client, from far away, transmitting or receiving at 6 Mbps, can be an enormous load (consumption of air-time) even for a limited amount of data.

ivicask

Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:50 pm

Yes you can restrict the number of clients. But it is for me by no means a measure for the load on that AP. 100 clients that are quiet give almost no load (happens more these days than some time ago with smartphones, smartwatches etc). 1 client, from far away, transmitting or receiving at 6 Mbps, can be an enormous load (consumption of air-time) even for a limited amount of data.
Well what can you do about this client?If hes that far, he will probable have worse signal or no signal on 5ghz..

How do you even know client has 5ghz capability?You will end up endlessly kick him from 2.4 without ability to connect at all..

Theres 1000 more ifs i could come up...