Community discussions

MikroTik App

yank
just joined
Topic Author

Motel internet infrastructure

Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:26 pm

Hi All,

I have a small Motel & would like to install internet services for guests with Hotspot but not Cloud one. I wonder if any one can help me with understanding the Net config & required devices. I am attaching the building for more clarification. couple of questions in my mind and require your kind support.

1- Should I buy MT switch or router?
2- Should the APs connected to switch or can be wired to each other?
3- Heard that some APs doesn't require power source? can I install any brand or stick to MTs?
4- If I buy MT switch, does it include RouterOS or Hotspot to manage guests internet ?

I am so confused... :( :( :( :( :(
appreciate your response in advanced.. :)
Regards,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Motel internet infrastructure

Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:10 pm

Contract a professional to do this job.

yank
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:36 pm

Thanks for the disappointing reply :)

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:41 pm

What you expect?
Someone than works free for you?

One-thing-over-all:
One AP for floor? Without physical test is impossible to say if are working "as expected"...

yank
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:01 pm

What you expect?
Someone than works free for you?

One-thing-over-all:
One AP for floor? Without physical test is impossible to say if are working "as expected"...
I have contacted more than five contractors but none agree on same answer... One said use switch only, others said both switch & router, another tech said use router only!!!
maybe I reached non-experts! I have surfed MT website & found "MikroTik hardware routers that run RouterOS come preinstalled with a RouterOS license"

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:17 pm

@yank
No question that you need professional to properly size your desire to have your Motel and its guests connected.
Before anyone can help you ... one needs to know how many rooms in your motel and is wiring in place strategically for a well balanced network system. If no wiring is in place your cost of implementation can be very expensive ... a good professional can advise you in which direction to go ONCE they have dome a proper survey of your venue. If this is not planned properly you will have headaches. If you do not care about your reputation then you can take the hellter/skellter approach. :D

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:20 pm

really I just say use one CCR (Cloud Core Router) just after ISP router (if replaces ISP router is better) and about the switch, is right, only CRS (Cloud Router Switch)...
But about the AP and the right number, must be see on place with tests.

jkyawesome

Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:20 pm

Mikrotik will do everything you need but the configuration is a very steep learning curve. A professional will get you up and running before you are so frustrated that you throw everything away.

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:38 pm

Find a professional who will use MikroTik. Then yes, wire in all the AP's back to a central switch. The switch in turn will be controlled by a MikroTik router. Always MikroTik, all the time. Working on an installation now with twenty wAP AC units. Going well.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:34 am

Concur with Replace ISP router if possible, but in any case start with an MT router followed by a required MT switch.
Where I disagree with others is MT wifi. Much depends upon the quality of your ISP service throughput, if there is wire to rooms/ or in hallways (Central areas for AP placement), number of rooms, type of areas (reception, pool (indoor or outdoor) and quality of coverage desired.
If you are on a budget I would look at TPLINK EAP245 and compare that to the CAPAC XL.
In fact I would buy one of each and compare performance in both 2.4 and 5ghz in your environment (test) before buying more APs.
(test using laptops, and both IOS and android tablets/ipads and smartphones/iphones.) to get real world appreciation. DO NOT BUY APs BLINDLY.
If not on a budget look at the TPLINK 660HD.

Setting this up will not be trivial as you have have to carefully manage frequencies and overlap (more of a headache for 2.4 than 5ghz but still..........)

As for control, definitely hotspot is the way to go, its why such systems are designed, with upcoming version 7 and user manager I think this functionality just gets better!!!

yank
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:14 pm

really I just say use one CCR (Cloud Core Router) just after ISP router (if replaces ISP router is better) and about the switch, is right, only CRS (Cloud Router Switch)...
But about the AP and the right number, must be see on place with tests.
Thanks friend...

yank
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:15 pm

Concur with Replace ISP router if possible, but in any case start with an MT router followed by a required MT switch.
Where I disagree with others is MT wifi. Much depends upon the quality of your ISP service throughput, if there is wire to rooms/ or in hallways (Central areas for AP placement), number of rooms, type of areas (reception, pool (indoor or outdoor) and quality of coverage desired.
If you are on a budget I would look at TPLINK EAP245 and compare that to the CAPAC XL.
In fact I would buy one of each and compare performance in both 2.4 and 5ghz in your environment (test) before buying more APs.
(test using laptops, and both IOS and android tablets/ipads and smartphones/iphones.) to get real world appreciation. DO NOT BUY APs BLINDLY.
If not on a budget look at the TPLINK 660HD.

Setting this up will not be trivial as you have have to carefully manage frequencies and overlap (more of a headache for 2.4 than 5ghz but still..........)

As for control, definitely hotspot is the way to go, its why such systems are designed, with upcoming version 7 and user manager I think this functionality just gets better!!!
thanks anav... that helped a lot

kreload
just joined

Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:30 am

You will need a mikrotik router and a mikrotik poe switch with 8 or 24 ports, depends on how many access points you will need. Poe is standard these days and should power up all mikrotik access points and probably all other manufacturers access points who can accept poe as power source.
You will need a wireless survey on the motel to find how many access points you will need.