Community discussions

MikroTik App

GiovanniG
Topic Author

DIfferent access list for each Cap

Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:36 pm

Hi, I consider access list a powerful instrument when the devices are that unwise to avoid conntecting to a more reliable/powerful AP, but this is a general option, which doesn't suite my case completely. I've 3 access points under same Capsman, one external that I'd like to keep weak signals connected, and 2 inside home, where I'd like to kick out a device if the level goes enough lower, to help device connected to the other faster AP.
Is it possible to do?
Thanks

biomesh
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: DIfferent access list for each Cap  [SOLVED]

Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:24 pm

Yes, just create access rules using the interface option.
The first rule would be for the external AP(accept). If you have two radios then you would have two rules. Then underneath those you would have the rules for the internal aps, but for every accept rule, also add the signal range you are looking to enforce(rssi). The last rule would be a reject rule.

With this order the external AP world never kick of for a low rssi and the internal ones would.

You will most likely need to make sure your provisioning rules are set to create enabled and not create dynamic enabled before setting up the access rules.

GiovanniG
Topic Author

Re: DIfferent access list for each Cap

Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:05 pm

You will most likely need to make sure your provisioning rules are set to create enabled and not create dynamic enabled before setting up the access rules.
Thank you, I've found the interfaces including caps, so ok it should be easy. Sorry I haven't noticed it before.
Please tell me what is the difference between create enabled and create dynamic enabled, I always used create dynamic enabled because I believed it was useful for roaming. If I use create enabled nothing will affect the roaming?
Thank you for kind explanation

biomesh
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:38 pm

It has nothing to do with roaming. It just has to do with the creation of the capsman interfaces. If you are going to use access rules for specific AP interfaces, then you will want "create enabled" vs "create dynamic enabled".

I had capsman set with dynamic interfaces until I needed to use the interface option in the access list. If you have dynamic interfaces and your cap/radio is reprovisioned then the reference to the interface in the access list will point to an invalid interface and the access list rule won't work anymore.

GiovanniG
Topic Author

Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:04 pm

thank you a lot for your kind answer :)
Sincerely now I don't see more the reason to use dynamic, I don't need to release resurces (if it is the meaning to use dynamic) so I'll only use create enable.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:28 pm

If you use create enable... You can actually set channels and power levels per AP.

GiovanniG
Topic Author

Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:20 pm

If you use create enable... You can actually set channels and power levels per AP.
Thanks,
I don't remember when I read the first time the CPAs guide long time ago, but I do remember they suggested to use dynamic, and I always did like that.. but honestly know I don't know the meaning, having them "static" if much better and probably less faulty. I'll always use them in future