Community discussions

MikroTik App

marekm
Topic Author

w60g station trying forever to connect as 9th to the AP

Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:38 am

Sent to support #[SUP-60786] but also posting here.

I have 15 stations connected to 3 APs at one location, same settings except different channels.
Coverage of the APs overlaps somewhat, the stations can move freely between them.
The issue is that sometimes a station gets stuck trying forever to connect as the 9th station to the AP, which happens to already have 8 stations connected and can't accept any more. It doesn't try other APs with available resources, only connects after I force some other of the 8 to disconnect (sometimes it connects to another AP, other times it again gets stuck in this "trying to connect as 9th" state too).
It would be better to try other APs (even if weaker signal), still start from the strongest one but try others with matching SSID as well. I suspect it works in cases when the signal levels are similar enough that sometimes one and sometimes the other is received stronger (the signal changes all the time), but gets stuck if the difference is larger.
I don't want to use different SSIDs, as using a single one gives some redundancy if one AP fails.

Also, waiting for the new 802.11ay products which are supposed to raise the limit from 8 to 15 connected stations. Almost lost all hope for an answer when they will be available.
But - will it be backwards compatible, so I can connect 15 old 802.11ad stations to one new 802.11ay AP, and freely mix old and new stations connected to the same AP? In other words, will I need to replace just the AP to take advantage of the higher stations limit, or will the stations (too many to replace them all on the roofs) all have to be 802.11ay too?