Community discussions

MikroTik App

ath99
just joined
Topic Author

R11e-5HacD / R11e-5HnD DFS and TPC support in Access Point Mode

Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:09 pm

Hello,

I'm currently trying to build a point to point Wifi connection and am searching for suitable Wifi modules.
I came across the R11e-5HacD and R11e-5HnD which might work.

Do these support DFS & TPC in Access Point as well as client/station mode?
This might be called "DFS Master", but I'm not sure.
I'm also not sure how much this depends on the chipset (e.g. is configurable or always present or has Mikrotik configured) or the host OS.

This would be needed to operate this link within the EU, as we want to transmit with 30dBm EIRP.

Rugx
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: R11e-5HacD / R11e-5HnD DFS and TPC support in Access Point Mode

Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:22 am

TPC is not supported by MikroTik devices as far as I know. DFS is supported based on the country and frequency-mode you set in wireless settings

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:24 pm

Not only is TPC not supported, auto-frequency is not real DFS either. Mikrotik AP will choose channel with least number of scanned APs (irregardless of their signal level!) once and keep that channel until device is rebooted or AP interface is restarted. Actual DFS changes channels on the fly (there is procedure in 802.11 for this how it notifies clients so it's seamless etc.).
If you are working on a job and have to prove your equipment is fully compliant, Mikrotik is not a good choice. None of the equipment have official WIFI certification either...

ath99
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:48 am

Not only is TPC not supported, auto-frequency is not real DFS either. Mikrotik AP will choose channel with least number of scanned APs (irregardless of their signal level!) once and keep that channel until device is rebooted or AP interface is restarted. Actual DFS changes channels on the fly (there is procedure in 802.11 for this how it notifies clients so it's seamless etc.).
If you are working on a job and have to prove your equipment is fully compliant, Mikrotik is not a good choice. None of the equipment have official WIFI certification either...

Thanks, I was not really sure about TPC so far.
The two interface cards depend on the ath9k/ath10k afaik, so I guess parts of the DFS/TPC support also depends on the drivers.

Well, working with pre-certified stuff makes way easier if you build products.
The final products will have to be certified anyways (not necessarily WiFi-Alliance certification, but FCC, CE...)