Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

mfulton
just joined
Topic Author

Question regarding Bandwidth & Signal Levels

Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:08 pm

Hello all.

I have been using MikroTik routers for only a couple of months now and I have a question regarding the actual amount of bandwidth that I am seeing between two links. Here is the scenario: We currently have a bridged link with two MikroTik routers with Ubiquiti SR9 cards and a -15dbm signal gain antenna on both ends. The link is approx 15 miles and there is no LOS. The signal level is good at -75, but does fluctuate to about -85 at times due to some interference problems. According to the signal level, I should be able to push 36MB (or more) across the link, but I am only seeing 200K when conducting a bandwidth test on the station side. On the Bridged side (one radio is bridge mode, the other radio is station mode) I am able to test the bandwidth at 8-12 MB. There are other factors involved, but this is the basic setup and the problem that I am dealing with.

How can I determine if this is a bandwidth problem? I believe I should at leased be seeing 8-12 MB. Thanks for any help.

Belyivulk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Question regarding Bandwidth & Signal Levels

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:53 pm

how are **you** testing the through put? Are you getting 8-12Mbit TCP using the MT bandwidth test? Are you using EOIP tunnels over the link? Please give more detail.

When doing 15km with 15db Ant with -75 a side bouncing to -85 you should see around 17mbit with LOS, without LOS i wouldn't really expect much more than your getting (just based on our experience)

Though in saying when bouncing to -85 i would expect the link to drop

mfulton
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:04 pm

When using the MT bandwidth tester between the two links, it shows 2 to 2.5 MB TCP. From running an internet-based bandwidth test on the Bridge side, (by plugging into the switch that the MT is also connected to) I show 8-12 MB. When I run this same internet-based test from the station side, I see only 200K. I understand that this internet-based bandwidth test is not the most accurate, but it does show much more throughput when compared. Thanks again.

Belyivulk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:12 am

It shows 200kbyte/sec or 200kbits/sec ?