Community discussions

MikroTik App

İmposss
Topic Author

Capsman and advertise ipv6dns to clients

Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:36 pm

Hi i use two hapac2 and capsman. My problem: i wrote my bridge ipv6 address (my gateway) in "ipv6/ND dns server". It advertise on ethernet clients. I can see it but on wifi clients cant see ipv6 dns. I use doh in mikrotik and nslookup command work with mikrotiks ipv6 address.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by İmposss on Sun May 01, 2022 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cfikes
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Capsman and advertise ipv6dns to clients

Sun May 01, 2022 2:15 am

Make sure in /ipv6/nd you have the dns servers you want advertised available to all the interfaces you plan to use them on.

İmposss
Topic Author

Sun May 01, 2022 12:31 pm

Make sure in /ipv6/nd you have the dns servers you want advertised available to all the interfaces you plan to use them on.
Thanks My dns server is my gateway. Ethernet's clients can get auto ipv6dns config but wifi's clients can not get ipv6dns auto config address.

cfikes
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun May 01, 2022 3:32 pm

If you are using SLAAC for addressing RDNSS is used to hand out name servers. Still check that you have the interfaces in /ipv6/nd handing out name servers. Here is a setup from winbox that is issuing RDNSS to all interfaces to Google's IPv6 DNS servers.
Screenshot 2022-05-01 073206.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

İmposss
Topic Author

Sun May 01, 2022 7:55 pm

If you are using SLAAC for addressing RDNSS is used to hand out name servers. Still check that you have the interfaces in /ipv6/nd handing out name servers. Here is a setup from winbox that is issuing RDNSS to all interfaces to Google's IPv6 DNS servers.

Screenshot 2022-05-01 073206.png
Thanks, Yes i using slaac. İ using doh in ip/dns. And ı can see ipv6dns in windows netvork deitalis connected with ethernet from mikrotik. But clients with wifi (capsman controlled) not get ipv6dns address. Same configuration only my dns server in my mikrotik. And yes it is work well. My problem only wifi clients can not get auto ipv6dns address (empty)

cfikes
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 02, 2022 4:06 pm

Is the bridge interface the gateway for these devices?

İmposss
Topic Author

Mon May 02, 2022 5:57 pm

Is the bridge interface the gateway for these devices?
Yes my local bridge is gateway and my dns server

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 02, 2022 7:07 pm

Maybe viewtopic.php?t=157341 although odd that it affects DNS but not the gateway.

İmposss
Topic Author

Tue May 03, 2022 1:44 am

Maybe viewtopic.php?t=157341 although odd that it affects DNS but not the gateway.
Thanks. I tried to multicasthelper:full. No affect

İmposss
Topic Author

Wed May 04, 2022 6:19 pm

Anyone can see ipv6 dns on wifi clients?

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 04, 2022 7:27 pm

Yes, but with a rather different configuration - v6.48.6; ND has advertise-dns=no, as this version does not allow the offered DNS servers to be configured, and other-configuration=yes; DNSv6 addresses provided by DHCP option 23. Additionally no capsman, as the radios are configured directly, but that shouldn't have any effect.

Have you used Wireshark or similar on the laptop and packet sniffer on the Mikrotik to check if the information is being transmitted

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 05, 2022 12:09 am

Yes, but with a rather different configuration - v6.48.6; ND has advertise-dns=no, as this version does not allow the offered DNS servers to be configured,
In my experience, devices running ROS v6 (at least versions 6.48 and beyond) allow setting IPv6 addresses in /ip dns servers ... comma-separated addresses, can be mix of IPv4 and IPv6. If /ipv6 nd advertise-dns is set to yes, then RAs will contain IPv6 addresses from before mentioned DNS servers list. But yes, it is not possible to set a set of IPv6 addresses for DNS servers different than used by router itself. Not in v6.

At least it works for my wireless android gadgets, they have IPv6 address of local DNS server and since android doesn't support DHCPv6 client it0s got to originate from RAs (I'm running DHCPv6 server in my network for serious devices, such as Windows laptops, not on ROS though).

And no, CAPsMAN definitely doesn't have anything to do with it, CAPsMAN only provisions radio parameters (L1), RA/DHCPv6 is a couple of layers higher.

İmposss
Topic Author

Thu May 05, 2022 1:46 am

Yes, but with a rather different configuration - v6.48.6; ND has advertise-dns=no, as this version does not allow the offered DNS servers to be configured, and other-configuration=yes; DNSv6 addresses provided by DHCP option 23. Additionally no capsman, as the radios are configured directly, but that shouldn't have any effect.

Have you used Wireshark or similar on the laptop and packet sniffer on the Mikrotik to check if the information is being transmitted
Thanks. I use slaac. I dont have a dhcpv6 server. I tried other confg:yes it do not affect. But what written dnsv6 server in ND, working on wired connection. I can see and not work for wireless connections. I tried packet sniffer but ı can not understand anythink :)
In my experience, devices running ROS v6 (at least versions 6.48 and beyond) allow setting IPv6 addresses in /ip dns servers ... comma-separated addresses, can be mix of IPv4 and IPv6. If /ipv6 nd advertise-dns is set to yes, then RAs will contain IPv6 addresses from before mentioned DNS servers list. But yes, it is not possible to set a set of IPv6 addresses for DNS servers different than used by router itself. Not in v6.

At least it works for my wireless android gadgets, they have IPv6 address of local DNS server and since android doesn't support DHCPv6 client it0s got to originate from RAs (I'm running DHCPv6 server in my network for serious devices, such as Windows laptops, not on ROS though).

And no, CAPsMAN definitely doesn't have anything to do with it, CAPsMAN only provisions radio parameters (L1), RA/DHCPv6 is a couple of layers higher.
Thanks. I using doh in my router and ı can wrote ipv6 dns on static. It is working well. I can see on cmd terminal with nslookup ipv6 adresses asking with my router ipv6 adress. İt is work well. I tried write my gateway on ip/dns. Not affect. I think it is all wireless devices problem on clients.

İmposss
Topic Author

Re: Capsman and advertise ipv6dns to clients  [SOLVED]

Sun May 08, 2022 11:37 pm

I understanding this is on clients. When disabling tcp/ipv4 ı can see ipv6 dns. No problem on mikrotik.