Community discussions

MikroTik App

jasperwill
just joined
Topic Author

capsman prevents channel widths

Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:28 am

I am a very amatuer user for mikrotik devices so I may be missing a simple setting somewhere when configuring these aps.
i have a hex POE router and 2 cap ac waps.
the router is set to be caps manager, and i have tried setting up the aps fallowing this youtube video from mikrotik.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taQ70m0DVYA
the aps seem to work correctly, but I cannot select any channel width besides 20mhz. I have separated the 5ghz and 2.4ghz radio configurations within capsman with no change in results.
in the 5ghz spectrum my neighborhood is very empty so i would like to take advantage of the largest channel width available to me.
setting up one of the aps individually allows me to select the 20/40/80 channel width selection and my speed tests almost double in rate from 130ish to 230ish mbps.

I am also interested in cutting my 2.4ghz signal down to 5 or 10 mhz channels in order to cut through the noise on that radio and i cannot do that either.

currently the best i can get with capsman is:
Current channel:
2442/20-Ce/gn
5180/20-Ceee/ac

Ca6ko

Re: capsman prevents channel widths

Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:11 pm

You need to learn how wifi works.
Ce =20+20=40 MHz
Ceee=20+20+20+20=80MHz
You will not be able to set up a Capsman controlled access point well with such poor knowledge.
2442 frequency is not used in this case. read about non-overlapping channels

jasperwill
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:20 am

After a little more research about wifi technology I found that channel widths below 20mhz are not available for the N, or AC standards.
As far as my other question, I'm still not sure why I am unable to create a 160mhz wide channel in the 5ghz band using capsman, but setting up the interface directly on a single ap I can.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: capsman prevents channel widths  [SOLVED]

Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:10 am

That is strange, especially knowing the cAP ac is capable of doing 80 MHz max. Are you sure that 160 MHz was a valid choice? Can you share your config (/export hide-sensitive file=anynameyoulike), remove any personal information from it and share it here?

jasperwill
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:57 pm

That is strange, especially knowing the cAP ac is capable of doing 80 MHz max. Are you sure that 160 MHz was a valid choice? Can you share your config (/export hide-sensitive file=anynameyoulike), remove any personal information from it and share it here?
I am sorry for the bad information, I was wrong about getting 160mhz. I made an assumption that because I was getting such larger speeds it was because of a larger channel width.
I guess I need to look elsewhere for the speed difference. It's frustrating to me that the drop down menus provide options that the hardware doesn't support, specifically for products that mikrotik makes themselves. (or at least sells with their brand name)