Community discussions

MikroTik App

jonashi
Topic Author

Backbone shaper - switch from linux to Mikrotik

Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:24 pm

This is about switch from Linux to Mikrotik

Till now I have configuration

INTERNET <Linux shaper> <RouterOS main router> <RouterOS my network cca 60 routers>

desired configuration is

INTERNET <RouterOS shaper> <RouterOS main router> <RouterOS my network ...>

Im just wondering if this is possible and how powerfull piece of hardware do I need.
Since 2001 I have been runing backbone shaper for cca 1000 clients.That shaper is based on Slackware +HTB+ipac-ng +some scripts with patched custom 2.4.x kernel, shaping is done by clients IP addresses. Because ipac-ng in gonna be obsolete I m looking for replacement of whole system (Im not able to run ipac-ng under 2.6.x kernels and I cant meaningly use newest hardware with an old linux kernel) so I decided to try find out a more "standardised" solution which can be kept simply up to date. Some my clients have older non aggregated tariffs (there are three speeds upload/download for each clients IP based on amounts of downloaded data - total amount of 20days ago)-Fair User Policy, some clients have aggregated tariffs without FUP and some clients using bursted aggregated tariffs.
My network is completely RouterOS based, till now I have involved cca 60 RouterOS servers, only the "the last machine" connected directly to internet is linux based router and does only shaping. Final routing is done by RouterOS based router connected via linux shaper directly to Internet. No bonding, BGP, OSPF or such things, only one bridged connection to Internet @10GHz wireless point to point to fibre optic.

It seems Im gonna use que tree with suitable shaping alghorithm, and Im aware that RouterOS is not capable of simple FUP implementation. Maybe I should use RouterOS IP accounting and scripts for dynamic rearranging que trees.

Questions are
- is that even possible with RouterOS (I know it is but I m not shure if by described way)
- is anybody running similar shaping system on RouterOS?
- how powerfull machine do I need for smooth running such system? -CPU, RAM

considering using PCQ (?), 1000 concurently working clients; average IP-IP connection 300 per client, internet connection for whole network cca50Mbps, clients running speed arround 4Mbps.
I realize that there is no way to switch main shaper by a few mouse clicks and it takes as much resources as can; I m posting here in hope to gain a few experiences from guys whose runing such shaper system now and in order to do it best :-) possible way.

thanks in advance for any suggestions or experiences sharing

Patrik
Last edited by jonashi on Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SSD
just joined

Re: Backbone shaper - switch from linux to Mikrotik

Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:26 pm

This is about switch from Linux to Mikrotik

Till now I have configuration

INTERNET <Linux shaper> <RouterOS main router> <RouterOS my network cca 60 routers>

desired configuration is

INTERNET <RouterOS shaper> <RouterOS main router> <RouterOS my network ...>

Im just wondering if this is possible and how powerfull piece of hardware do I need.
Since 2001 I have been runing backbone shaper for cca 1000 clients.That shaper is based on Slackware +ipac-ng +some scripts with patched custom 2.4.x kernel, shaping is done by clients IP addresses. Because ipac-ng in gonna be obsolete I m looking for replacement of whole system (Im not able to run ipac-ng under 2.6.x kernels and I cant meaningly use newest hardware with an old linux kernel) so I decided to try find out a more "standardised" solution which can be kept simply up to date. Some my clients have older non aggregated tariffs (there are three speeds upload/download for each clients IP based on amounts of downloaded data - total amount of 20days ago)-Fair User Policy, some clients have aggregated tariffs without FUP and some clients using bursted aggregated tariffs.
My network is completely RouterOS based, till now I have involved cca 60 RouterOS servers, only the "the last machine" connected directly to internet is linux based router and does only shaping. Final routing is done by RouterOS based router connected via linux shaper directly to Internet. No bonding, BGP, OSPF or such things, only one bridged connection to Internet @10GHz wireless point to point to fibre optic.

It seems Im gonna use que tree with suitable shaping alghorithm, and Im aware that RouterOS is not capable of simple FUP implementation. Maybe I should use RouterOS IP accounting and scripts for dynamic rearranging que trees.

Questions are
- is that even possible with RouterOS (I know it is but I m not shure if by described way)
- is anybody running similar shaping system on RouterOS?
- how powerfull machine do I need for smooth running such system? -CPU, RAM

considering using PCQ (?), 1000 concurently working clients; average IP-IP connection 300 per client, internet connection for whole network cca50Mbps, clients running speed arround 4Mbps.
I realize that there is no way to switch main shaper by a few mouse clicks and it takes as much resources as can; I m posting here in hope to gain a few experiences from guys whose runing such shaper system now and in order to do it best :-) possible way.

thanks in advance for any suggestions or experiences sharing

Patrik
Possible. Use RouterOS with PC P IV 2Ghz or high.

jonashi
Topic Author

Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:13 am

thank you for replying. I have prepared an IBM Intel based machine with p4@2800MHz with 1GB RAM, this is similar configuration I am running todays linux machine

rickard
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:03 am

Hi,
We using 2.9.48 today on a P4 2.5 Ghz celeron with 512 Mb ram and we are pusching 50 mbits today with cpu usage 35 %. And we have alot with TOS Marks and Ques enabled.
And we have 450 Users running. Works great!

//Rickard