Community discussions

MikroTik App

mazel
just joined
Topic Author

Wireless clients not connecting after upgrade to 7.9 [hAP ax2]

Fri May 05, 2023 9:45 am

Hello,
I have recently updated my hAP ax2 to RouterOS 7.9. However, I am experiencing issues with wireless client which are unable to connect and obtain IP address from DHCP - wired clients work. I have NOT changed anything in my configuration and when running ROS 7.8 wireless clients have no issues and everything works well. In image (Log screenshot) there are two devices experiencing the same problem - vacuum robot and home camera (stationary devices) are unable to connect to WiFi. Complete configuration in attachment. Maybe, I am missing something in my configuration but I am clueless, right now. Does anyone experienced same problem or does know possible solution? Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ToTheFull
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Wireless clients not connecting after upgrade to 7.9 [hAP ax2]

Wed May 10, 2023 4:44 pm

I have a couple of devices that do as below, but as far as I am aware that is just part of a sleep function while the device is idle. I also make sure I have at least 1 device connected to each radio that never sleeps, as well as that I don't use dfs frequencys. At the moment I have a hAP-ax2 (Uptime 6 days 5 hours) as router with just 5G enabled using WPA2, and a cAP-AX 2.4&5G using WPA2/WPA3 I am still waiting for it to crash or stop letting devices connect.. Uptime 3 days 6 hours 32 mins.

This is a quest headset by the way.
07:20:12 wireless,info B4:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX@wifi1 reauthenticating
07:20:12 wireless,info B4:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX@wifi1 connected, signal strength -64
07:20:27 wireless,info B4:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX@wifi1 disconnected, connection lost, signal strength -65

09:20:29 wireless,info B4:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX@wifi2 reauthenticating
09:20:29 wireless,info B4:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX@wifi2 connected, signal strength -53
09:20:44 wireless,info B4:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX@wifi2 disconnected, connection lost, signal strength -54

11:20:46 wireless,info B4:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX@wifi1 reauthenticating
11:20:46 wireless,info B4:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX@wifi1 connected, signal strength -64
11:21:00 wireless,info B4:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX@wifi1 disconnected, connection lost, signal strength -64

13:21:02 wireless,info B4:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX@wifi1 reauthenticating
13:21:02 wireless,info B4:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX@wifi1 connected, signal strength -63
13:21:17 wireless,info B4:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX@wifi1 disconnected, connection lost, signal strength -63

mazel
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 10, 2023 8:16 pm

I have a couple of devices that do as below, but as far as I am aware that is just part of a sleep function while the device is idle. I also make sure I have at least 1 device connected to each radio that never sleeps, as well as that I don't use dfs frequencys. At the moment I have a hAP-ax2 (Uptime 6 days 5 hours) as router with just 5G enabled using WPA2, and a cAP-AX 2.4&5G using WPA2/WPA3 I am still waiting for it to crash or stop letting devices connect.. Uptime 3 days 6 hours 32 mins.

This is a quest headset by the way.
07:20:12 wireless,info B4:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX@wifi1 reauthenticating
07:20:12 wireless,info B4:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX@wifi1 connected, signal strength -64
07:20:27 wireless,info B4:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX@wifi1 disconnected, connection lost, signal strength -65

09:20:29 wireless,info B4:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX@wifi2 reauthenticating
09:20:29 wireless,info B4:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX@wifi2 connected, signal strength -53
09:20:44 wireless,info B4:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX@wifi2 disconnected, connection lost, signal strength -54

11:20:46 wireless,info B4:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX@wifi1 reauthenticating
11:20:46 wireless,info B4:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX@wifi1 connected, signal strength -64
11:21:00 wireless,info B4:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX@wifi1 disconnected, connection lost, signal strength -64

13:21:02 wireless,info B4:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX@wifi1 reauthenticating
13:21:02 wireless,info B4:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX@wifi1 connected, signal strength -63
13:21:17 wireless,info B4:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX@wifi1 disconnected, connection lost, signal strength -63
I am having issue that device not getting IP from DHCP server - offering lease xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx for XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX without success (no reauthenticating in logs as device never connects after ROS update). All this happening just from any ROS after 7.8 (even 7.10beta5 has this issue on my device - tested today) - notice I am using vlans so probably issue when vlans are used for wlan. My hAP ax2 has 2.4&5G for LAN and 2.4G for Guest (both ax). As I can see on forum, many many users having this kind of issue after ROS 7.6 and newer (looks like kind of a SW+HW issue to me)...

Kaldek
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu May 11, 2023 1:40 pm

Looking at your configuration it looks like you have VLANs 7 and 8 in use.
However, you also have two bridges. I don't know why this ever worked for you, but that's not the correct configuration. You should only have one bridge, with VLANs 7 and 8 added to that bridge.

Do you want an implicit VLAN 1 to not exist, so that the only VLANs that exist are VLANs 7 and 8? If so, which of these would you consider your "master" or most secure VLAN?

mazel
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 11, 2023 4:23 pm

However, you also have two bridges. I don't know why this ever worked for you, but that's not the correct configuration. You should only have one bridge, with VLANs 7 and 8 added to that bridge.

Do you want an implicit VLAN 1 to not exist, so that the only VLANs that exist are VLANs 7 and 8? If so, which of these would you consider your "master" or most secure VLAN?
Yes, I have two VLANs - 7 and 8 (default VLAN1 is "converted" to 7). My main internal VLAN is VLAN7 (equivalent to default VLAN1) and guest VLAN is VLAN8 (only internet access).

So theoretically, I should have bridge (with PVID7 - my default PVID is not 1 but 7) and over that vlan8 with VLAN ID: 8 - like in updated config in attachment, right?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mazel
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 11, 2023 4:35 pm

Yes, I have two VLANs - 7 and 8 (default VLAN1 is "converted" to 7). My main internal VLAN is VLAN7 (equivalent to default VLAN1) and guest VLAN is VLAN8 (only internet access).

So theoretically, I should have bridge (with PVID7 - my default PVID is not 1 but 7) and over that vlan8 with VLAN ID: 8 - like in updated config in attachment, right?
New configuration seems to work well with ROS 7.8. However, after updating to 7.10beta5 issue with connecting wireless client is back. Same behaviour with 7.9 and later.

15:28:20 system,critical,info ntp change time May/11/2023 15:27:54 => May/11/2023 15:28:20
15:28:22 dhcp,warning vlan8-host-dhcp offering lease 192.168.8.19 for XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX without success
15:28:48 wireless,info XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX@wifi2-host disconnected, connection lost, signal strength -66
15:28:52 wireless,info XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX@wifi2-host connected, signal strength -57
15:28:59 dhcp,warning vlan8-host-dhcp offering lease 192.168.8.19 for XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX without success
15:29:15 dhcp,warning vlan8-host-dhcp offering lease 192.168.8.19 for XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX without success
15:29:27 dhcp,warning vlan8-host-dhcp offering lease 192.168.8.19 for XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX without success
15:29:29 dhcp,warning vlan8-host-dhcp offering lease 192.168.8.20 for YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY without success
15:29:40 dhcp,warning vlan8-host-dhcp offering lease 192.168.8.19 for XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX without success
15:29:58 dhcp,warning vlan8-host-dhcp offering lease 192.168.8.19 for XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX without success
15:30:11 dhcp,warning vlan8-host-dhcp offering lease 192.168.8.19 for XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX without success
15:30:15 wireless,info XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX@wifi2-host disconnected, connection lost, signal strength -57
15:30:20 wireless,info XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX@wifi2-host connected, signal strength -68
15:30:28 wireless,info YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY@wifi2-host disconnected, connection lost, signal strength -34
15:30:29 dhcp,warning vlan8-host-dhcp offering lease 192.168.8.19 for XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX without success
15:30:30 wireless,info YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY@wifi2-host connected, signal strength -35
15:30:45 dhcp,warning vlan8-host-dhcp offering lease 192.168.8.19 for XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX without success
15:30:58 dhcp,warning vlan8-host-dhcp offering lease 192.168.8.20 for YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY without success
15:31:02 dhcp,warning vlan8-host-dhcp offering lease 192.168.8.19 for XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX without success

coddy
just joined

Fri May 12, 2023 12:33 am

For me (CAPsMAN controlled AX3), I needed to disable hardware offloading on my trunk port on the bridge (I was trunking back to a main switch).
In your configuration your ax2 is acting as a switch, so disabling hw offloading will impact speed at which traffic will flow between two ports on the same vlan (ether2,ether3,ether4).

Can you try updating your config to disable hw offloading on your upstream ports, like:

/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge hw=no interface=ether2 pvid=7
add bridge=bridge hw=no interface=ether3 pvid=7
add bridge=bridge hw=no interface=ether4 pvid=7
add bridge=bridge hw=no interface=ether5 pvid=8

Kaldek
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Wireless clients not connecting after upgrade to 7.9 [hAP ax2]  [SOLVED]

Fri May 12, 2023 6:49 am

I've checked your updated config. Your WiFi interfaces on VLAN 8 need to be tagged as well. No, I don't recall exactly why that is, but it's how it works on CAPsMAN v1 so I have always followed the rule. The VLAN interface does not need to be added to the VLAN settings in the bridge.

This is the only bridge settings needed for VLAN 8:
/interface bridge vlan add bridge=bridge tagged=bridge,wifi2-host untagged=ether5 vlan-ids=8

Here is one of my cAP ac units, managed by CAPsMANv1 where there is a slave SSID on my 5ghz and 2ghz radios on VLAN 10. Note that I haven't manually tagged these interfaces; CAPsMAN did it. This automatic configuration isn't working reliably on CAPsMANv2 yet, so you need to tag the interfaces manually.

NOTE: The issues with CAPsMANv2 not dynamically adding the WiFi interfaces to the bridge VLAN settings also means that any time you change a WiFi configuration in CAPsMANv2 and the access point re-numbers its virtual WiFi interfaces (for slave SSIDs) to, say "wifi5" and "wifi6", your manual tag assignments in the bridge VLAN configuration for interfaces wifi3 and wifi4 will break, and all clients on the secondary SSID (and its associated VLAN) will no longer be able to reach any IP address or use DHCP. The WiFi interface is essentially, not on the bridge anymore.

mazel
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 12, 2023 8:48 am

I've checked your updated config. Your WiFi interfaces on VLAN 8 need to be tagged as well. No, I don't recall exactly why that is, but it's how it works on CAPsMAN v1 so I have always followed the rule. The VLAN interface does not need to be added to the VLAN settings in the bridge.

This is the only bridge settings needed for VLAN 8:
/interface bridge vlan add bridge=bridge tagged=bridge,wifi2-host untagged=ether5 vlan-ids=8

Here is one of my cAP ac units, managed by CAPsMANv1 where there is a slave SSID on my 5ghz and 2ghz radios on VLAN 10. Note that I haven't manually tagged these interfaces; CAPsMAN did it. This automatic configuration isn't working reliably on CAPsMANv2 yet, so you need to tag the interfaces manually.

NOTE: The issues with CAPsMANv2 not dynamically adding the WiFi interfaces to the bridge VLAN settings also means that any time you change a WiFi configuration in CAPsMANv2 and the access point re-numbers its virtual WiFi interfaces (for slave SSIDs) to, say "wifi5" and "wifi6", your manual tag assignments in the bridge VLAN configuration for interfaces wifi3 and wifi4 will break, and all clients on the secondary SSID (and its associated VLAN) will no longer be able to reach any IP address or use DHCP. The WiFi interface is essentially, not on the bridge anymore.
Hah, interesting. Thank you so much, it solved my issue. It seems quite interesting to me that all ROS until 7.8 worked seamlessly with
/interface/bridge/vlan/add bridge=bridge tagged=bridge untagged=ether5,wifi2-host vlan-ids=8
. However, from ROS 7.9 I have to have wlan interface as tagged, not untagged
/interface/bridge/vlan/add bridge=bridge tagged=bridge,wifi2-host untagged=ether5 vlan-ids=8
. Well, I guess I am a bit smarter now as WLAN with VLANs on TiK is still quite new to me. Thanks

Kaldek
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun May 14, 2023 1:20 pm

Hah, interesting. Thank you so much, it solved my issue. It seems quite interesting to me that all ROS until 7.8 worked seamlessly with
/interface/bridge/vlan/add bridge=bridge tagged=bridge untagged=ether5,wifi2-host vlan-ids=8
. However, from ROS 7.9 I have to have wlan interface as tagged, not untagged
/interface/bridge/vlan/add bridge=bridge tagged=bridge,wifi2-host untagged=ether5 vlan-ids=8
. Well, I guess I am a bit smarter now as WLAN with VLANs on TiK is still quite new to me. Thanks
You're welcome. I suspect that sometimes when things are working they might be working because they're just sending all packets to all interfaces, regardless of VLAN. As time goes on, these loopholes that shouldn't work, are stopped from working. Which is a good thing, but confusing to anyone who's been using the loophole without knowing it.